Black Moor with possible pop eye and fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep us posted! Newly cycled tanks are a bit tempermental and parameters may vary for no apparent reason. Keeping a close eye on parameters is always a good idea. :)

I need to remember the tank is still new! :) I was at .25 again today so I did another change of about 50%. Thanks for all the help! Even though I'm not all sorted out yet I know it will get there.

Hello! Today is the final day of metro-meds for the babies. Also my ammonia is back down today. Yay. :) For a small update, they each still have a large eye and Peepers eye is a little bigger than it was. I saw no sitting yesterday and today but some from Peepers before that. Still no problems with food and its back and forth with stringy "waste". It seems like its been a little better over the last few days but I don't see all of "it".

Really other than some sitting, big eyes and the waste they seem happy. Also Diesel had a really white belly and almost looked like he didn't have scales but now they are showing up and shiny. I think Peepers has gotten bigger too.

Is the waste in strings or is it white/clear? Strings (sometimes long ones, too) is normal for goldies. Lets see how they do over the upcoming days. Make sure they are getting their veggies daily, too. :)

The last few days has been good solid waste. There were strings that were clear or white before though. I'm trying to keep an eye today on both of them since I'm actually home and can see more of what comes out. :) There was a few mins. of sitting from Peepers but I fed them some peas so they're busy again. I'm going to be feeding them the pro gold I ordered with my meds along with the veggies and some other frozen foods here and there. We'll see how it goes! Thank you!

Thanks! I would not be overly concerned at this point. They just finished a course of metro and antibiotic type meds can affect the good bacteria in their digestive tract. What your likely seeing is just mucous and sloughed cells from their digestive tract. Just keep feeding them small meals along with lots of veggies over the course of a day. I would consider giving them a course of prazi at some point in the near future. :)

Thank you, that makes sense with them having normal waste too. Which they both did later on. :) I'll see how they do and try to track any off behavior I see. Thank you! They do both seem a lot better as far as the sitting goes and that makes me really happy!

Help!

Ahh! Peepers eye got bigger, noticablly bigger, overnight. I did 80% pwc on Sun. with prime, checked the levels yesterday and Ammo was .25 again. so I dosed with a little extra prime because it was later in the evening and am getting ready to do another pwc right now but as I was looking them over after getting home, her eye grew! All other levels are good, but my Ph dropped again to 7.5. ?? I had a steady 8.0 from 6/1 until 6/7 where it was 7.8. Then yesterday 6/10 its again 7.5. I added some river rock around my plants to keep them down on Sunday. I rinsed before adding though. I don't know! I've also had sitting the past 2 mornings until they see me and then none that I see after that even when the lights go out at 8. They still seem pretty happy. They are eating bubbles ALOT though. The temp is sitting at 75, it's been a little warmer here. Sorry this was all over the place! I want to get the water change done and my thoughts are everywhere. I feel bad for Peepers with her big eye! Diesel's bigger eye just looks the same as before.

My black moore had bad eye pop he lost one eye and one is barely wprking bu5 now hes healthy as an ox I just put him in a small 10 gal to recoup him after 2 weeks he was good to go... hard to see eye in pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130611_221831.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130611_221831.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 45
Aww poor guy! He looks good though! I know they can live without but I'd just hate for that to happen. :) I'm glad yours is doing well, does he eat pretty well?

Good Morning! Her eye looks to be the same today, it's around the side and back where it got really fluid filled. They are still acting well, no sitting when we got up this morning. I am testing the water right now, only have time for the Ammo. and Ph though. This will be their 5th day off the MM. Ph comes up again at 7.5 and Ammo is still .25. :( I'll do another water change when I get home later today. The tank was dosed with prime with last nights change so there shouldn't be any issues. I did 50% last night. Thank you. Time for work!

Hello! Changed another 60% and everyone is acting normal still. You can see Peepers bigger eye on the right side of the pic with the underside being where it noticeably grew.

image-2582493581.jpg

Hello again. Sorry to be a pain in the you know what. :) Just wondering how I should move forward. Prazi? I had to change another 50% today as my ammonia was still at .25 Maybe a little below. Water sure looks good. I also have the medi-gold as well. There is no improvment as far as the eye is concerned, still really big. I don't want to over do it with medicines so I'm not sure how much time they need after having the Metros. It's been 6 days since they had it.

On another note I'm thinking I want to take out the rocks and maybe put my plants into little pots. I figured I would remove about a quarter of the rocks each week but i don't want to do anything that might make things worse right now. Any thoughts?

Lets not move on anything yet. They have only been off the MM for 6 days.

Thank you for the pic as well! I am sure I have asked this before, but are you 100% positive that Ms Peepers eye did not look similar to this when you purchased her (one eye larger than the other)? Looking at the pic, I do see one eye is more fluid filled than the other but it also resembles a normal fluid telescope eye. I am wondering if perhaps the other eye had a bit of injury thus you are not seeing fluid in this one.

I am going to try to get a pic of my fish's eyes so you can see what I am talking about. Her eyes (shape, size, amount of fluid, etc) change constantly and they have never been symmetrical. Give me a minute!

In respect to removing the gravel, that's fine but I would not start the process until your is stable. Then only remove a section of gravel every two weeks and do not remove anymore if you see spikes in parameters. If you see spikes, wait until things stabilize before starting remove any more. It will be a gradual process as your tank is still fairly new and you do not want to upset things too much at once. :)

:) I totally understand what you are saying in regard to telescopes having fluid filled eyes, I wish you could have known her before, because I know it's hard going off of terrible pictures and sometimes we get crazy when we are worried! lol I don't know if it would help but I have a video of them not long after I got them which is over a year and a half ago and I have a picture of them before I brought them home. Unfortunatly the later picture is from the side but it is of the side of her where she has the larger eye. The problem is its not really close up and it's hard for me to get a really good one of her right now. I could hold her in the water but I don't want to stress her! She's let me before though. She has the fluid thing really going on in both eyes but its just so much more dramatic in the one. I promise it wasn't like that before I brought her home. She always had big eyes though, hence the name Peepers! Let me know if you'd like to see the vid or pic.

Thanks for the advice on the rocks as well. I don't know whats going on but my ammonia is still at .25 and I've done water changes everyday since Tues and I did one Sun. They've all been at least 50% or more. I'll def. wait until things stabilize. To check tap water Ph you want it left overnight correct, with a couple shakes everyone once in a while? I need to do this because my Ph is still going back and forth. It was 8.0 yesterday and it's back to 7.5 today. I don't know if this could be what's giving them trouble and I can't figure out why it keeps happening. I now have a log of my water parameters.

I would double check you tap water (particularly ammonia). Tap parameters can change on a day to day basis especially if you have been seeing heavy rain or a lack of rain. What water suppliers decide to use in their water or how they process it can also change without notice. Although its not necessary to check your tap on a daily basis, its a good place to start with if your seeing numbers you don't expect in your tank or numbers that change for no obvious reason.

If you can post an early pic or video of Ms Peepers, that would be great! :)

I didn't think about the ammonia so that's a good idea which I will do. Should the water also sit over night for ammonia testing? Again thank you so much for all the help, advice and patience! I really could never say it enough!

image-570263543.jpg

So that's the picture of her before I brought her home. :) I need to figure out how to get the video next. That'll be coming! Thank you!

No need to wait when checking your other parameters- ph is the only one you need to do this with. I'll have to take a look on my computer tomorrow at your pic. Looking at pics on my cell is a bit difficult! :)

Back
Top Bottom