Black Moor with possible pop eye and fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took one from above to get a different view. They both have a bigger eye but Diesel had a slight difference when he was young. :) Still working on the video!
I'll have to test the ammonia tomorrow when my light is good!

I think I did it! So this is my little ones about a year and a half ago. :) It's the best I've got. Hope these help either way!

Ok, the pic above is a recent one, right? Is Diesel the top most fish and Ms Peepers the bottom one? I can see differences in size in their eyes in both fish but the bottom fish is more pronounced.

Now with the video, who is who? I can see one moor is more black and has large black eyes while the other has a more golden sheen and eyes that are smaller and golden on the bottom.

I'm sorry I forgot to point out who was who! You are correct in the picture, Diesel is toward the top and smaller, Peepers toward the bottom and the bigger fish. In the video Peepers is the one that is mostly on top and more golden, with the golden eyes. When she was that small her eyes stood out so much more than Diesel's because of the lighter color and the placement on them. :)

Sorry that video is really bad, but it was just for me to show my fiance how cute they were swimming on top of each other! Thank you!

Thanks! I can see a difference in her eyes even as a youngster. Not as dramatic as right now but theres still a difference. I am a bit hesitant to give them another course of meds (antibiotics, not prazi) yet but lets see how they are doing over the next week. The dramatic difference in the eyes has me a bit baffled to be honest. If it was both eyes swelling dramatically, I would be very concerned about an internal infection and/or kidney damage. But its not. So, I am still inclined to think that one eye had a bit of injury prior to your purchase and perhaps stress induces it to swell more (ie, when the temp jumped). Let me think on this bit! :)

Thanks I wondered the same thing myself with the one eye being so much bigger. I know what I had read leaned towards both eyes being larger. She does have fluid built up on the other side that I don't think was there before but it doesn't even compare. Diesel though had one of his eyes get bigger. Thanks for taking the time to think about them. They both sat some today.

On another note I tested the tap water and my ammonia is at .50 from the tap. Still .25 from the tank. My ph from the tap was 8 and still coming up 7.5 in the tank. I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm going to do another pwc today since I couldn't do one yesterday. Part of me was hoping somehow the ammonia would have been converted overnight but noooo. :) Anyway if there was a thank you song I'd sing to you!

Hello again! I've had two days without ammonia so yay! Unfortunately the nitrates went up to 40 today so I still did a 50% pwc. So I have two questions.
The first is about Diesel. I may have mentioned his belly being very white when I brought him home and it looking like it didn't have scales. By home I mean to this tank from the 10 gallon. The last few weeks his scales all down his underside have shown up and started to get a light gold coloring them. Now what's happening is where my question lies. Can a black moor :) regain a black coloring in a place it wasn't previously. I have a picture I'll add. I had to hold poor little Diesel to get a somewhat ok picture. It's like his scales are starting to color black and it's darker towards his sides up to where he actually is black. I've read about goldfish coloring and that it shouldn't change to black. Made me a little worried. Also he's been sitting the last 2 days more. Like in the evening when they are usually both swimming. I can get him up though most times.

image-3373908235.jpg

And the other question...
I had mentioned before in my posts about Diesel making and eating bubbles at the top and not knowing why. Well Ms. Peepers had started doing it too. I've narrowed it down to after they eat! I don't know if its the pellets or just eating in general. I have to pay more attention after I give them veggies but they don't really do it any other time! Those floating poops are driving me crazy! Could it have something to do with the food? Anyone ever hear or experience this? Thanks!

Ok, from my cell, his color looks pretty normal. He appears to be on his way to becoming completely orange. Are you seeing black specs or whole black scales? Or black discoloration on the bronze?

Yes, do try to keep an eye on them after eating anything and see what kind of correlation there is between food and air gulping. More or less common with pellets? Veggies? Right after eating or later on? :)

I'll check his belly coloring tomorrow since its lights out now. It seemed there were some splotchy areas but I'll verify that. I'll also really start tracking this eating thing. I feel like a detective! :)

Hello again. Looking over Diesel's belly he has a mix of everything you asked about going on! It seems like it has stayed mostly the same. I'm not sure if you are able to zoom on the picture but what I thought was odd was that there were some places that look like little black dots. I could try to zoom the pic and save it that way if it might help. I use my phone for this a lot too so I know it gets hard to see. :)
As for Ms. Peepers her eye is still huge. Certainly not smaller. They were both sitting today when I got home but I got them up and they've stayed up since then. Do you think daytime lights out might make them want to sit? Lol I'm just at a loss.
As for my psycho tank I've got .25 ammonia back and my ph dropped back to 7.5. I did an 80% pwc yesterday! This month has been ridiculous! If my tap ammonia is at.50 shouldn't it be able to get converted in the tank? My ph had been at 8.0 since the 16th until today. Should I look into crushed coral or aragonite? I'm sad to say I don't know what aragonite is but I will look it up. :) Also I'm ordering a kh/gh test tonight!

I think some of the black you are seeing is actually just black disappearing and its more apparent against the bronze/gold color that's becoming more prominent. However, I am not ruling out the possibility that there may be some skin flukes (which cause black specks) which goes back to my suggestion that you should do a course of prazi once the tank is stable.

Crushed coral or aragonite can be found in most lfs in either the sw section or mixed in with the fw substrates labeled as 'cichlid' substrate. You should be able to find a smaller bag instead of 25 or 50lb bag. Just read the label to see what the stuff is made of. :)

I looked up skin flukes and while they do exhibit some of those behaviors such as sitting and water gulping its not excessive by any means. I've been watching them eat too and it seems more and more like the pellets make them go for air but I'm still watching to be sure. :)
I can't wait until my tank is stable. Sometimes it feels like it will never happen!
I'll go this weekend to find the coral or aragonite. :) Thank you.

Hello I gave Peepers a bath today while I did a water change but I noticed this morning something new. Maybe you'll be familiar but she's got a white dot inside of her eye. It looks to be right in the middle of her pupil and its not on the outside of the lens. Also this is the big eye as well. I have a few pictures although they aren't great. It's very clear in person but pictures not so well.

image-3932037404.jpg

image-1628252780.jpg

I haven't gotten to do the other one yet I'm going to try to get to that tonight but I didn't know if this might mean something to you?

Attachments

• image-1788919401.jpg
    image-1788919401.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 44
Its only the one eye (the large one)? As you mention its inside the eye and not on the lens, my guess is it has to do with the excess pressure that is affecting internal changes in the eye itself or perhaps she has an actual infection within her eye. I do not know either for fact and it may be something entirely different. My best guesses is all I can offer here.

Yeah it's just in her big eye. I appreciate it even if you only have a guess. I tried to google it but I'm getting mixed results so I'll keep trying and ask around. Good old Peepers trying to keep everyone guessing! It doesn't seem to bother her so we'll see how it goes.

On another note Diesel is nibbling around her vent, I've read this can be breeding behavior or food issues. I don't think he's lacking in getting any food, I watch him eat.

I haven't noticed bumping but he definitely spends some time following her butt around. Sometimes a little more frantically than others but he doesn't look like he has any tubercles. It's cute though to see.

He is curious but it hasn't ventured into anything concerning unless she is getting stressed by the attention. Just keep a watch on them. :)

Yeah she's so much bigger so it doesn't seem to bother her, she'll nudge him out of the way if she really wants to. :)

Back
Top Bottom