bogwood for my oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just buy a nice piece of bogwood from my LFS last Sunday. Now it is in soaking state. I just love the shape of this one. Just have look and let me know ur opinion or share ur bogwood pic here. Thanks

ForumRunner_20130218_232704.jpg

ForumRunner_20130218_232731.jpg

That's a nice piece of wood but I wouldn't put it in a tank with large cichlids, especially ones as clumsy as oscars. They will undoubtedly impale themselves on the sharp points.

That's a nice piece of wood but I wouldn't put it in a tank with large cichlids, especially ones as clumsy as oscars. They will undoubtedly impale themselves on the sharp points.

I would just cut the branches down really dull. Or is that still a bad idea?

Yeah cut them as blunt as possible, that will help. They are such clumsy creatures you have to keep sharp objects and things they can knock over into the glass in mind when 'scaping their tanks.

Too bad you should trim it for large cichlids its a nice piece of wood and would look nice with small fish swimming in and around it.

:( sad but ur advices have lots more value to me. Actually after finding long I get this nice piece.but never this this will be a bad idea for my oscar buddies

:( sad but ur advices have lots more value to me. Actually after finding long I get this nice piece.but never this this will be a bad idea for my oscar buddies

That's absolutely silly not to use that piece, sure oscars are clumsy but to think there will be any substantial damage other than some possible scrapes is ridiculous.

Here is a picture from a angle of one of my large stumps with numerous pointy sharp branches, this tank housed a pair of 14" oscars(dozens of other cichlids as well) with no impaling, significant damage, or anything as mentioned above.

Attachments

• image-356707073.jpg
    image-356707073.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
@hukit thanks buddy. Atleast see some hope now. Oscars are smart and intelligent creatures. The bogwood I have don't have sharper branch head. Obviously some braches there are thin but again not sharp

Keep in mind that oscars do encounter tree branches in their native habitat of the amazon basin. Im told there is a couple species of trees in the rain forrest. dont worry, they won't skewer kabob themselves. Just don't put any knives or needles in there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom