Bonehead move on my part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
For the first time being in this hobby, I didn't research a species before purchasing it. I've always thoroughly researched anything that goes into my tank, even danios for my freshwater tanks.

My 90 gallon is fully cycled, so I thought that I would go purchase some fish. I purchased a yellow tailed damsel and a firefish; but on impulse, I also purchased a scooter blenny. The guy at the pet store said that the scooter blenny was an easy fish that will eat almost anything. He listed flake food, frozen food as well as live brine shrimp. As soon as I acclimated my fish, I decided to do some actual research on the scooter. I came to find out that they aren't even in the blenny family and their eating habits are "picky" to say the least. My tank is very young, so I didn't have an acceptable copepod culture when I bought him.

Within a week, his stomach got really skinny and he became less active. In a panic, I went to another pet store that sold live trigger pods. I also bought some Garf Grunge because I've read that it contains a high number of copepods and ampipods.

Now, he's a lot more active and I can see that he's picking at the rocks constantly. My only concern is that his stomach is still very skinny. If I feed my other fish mysis shrimp, he'll take some, but he'll spit it out several times. I'm hoping that I have a large enough copepod count to sustain her. I'll shine a flash light into the tank about an hour after I turn off the lights and I'll see literally about a thousand pods swimming in the water column. I'm just wondering if he's eating enough and if his stomach is going to fill out.

On a side note, the firefish and damsel are doing quite well. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that the damsel seems kind of friendly.

He'll be okay if the pod population can be maintained. If you don't have a refugium, you may want to look into setting one up or it will get very expensive to keep supplementing the pods. Don't beat yourself up for the impulse buy. I think we've all done it at some point. lol

I have a sump with course gravel and small coral pieces, will that be enough to maintain a pod poulation?

I plan on eventually creating a refugium tank displayed next to the main tank. I know that this is besides the point, but why do some people hide their refugiums under their stands? I've seen some gorgeous refugiums and it seems like a waste not to display such a tank. I would keep my equipment in the sump, but I would love to have an extra 20 gallon along side my main tank with LR and macro algae.

Hopefully he`ll make it. One way to make sure this does not happen again is to get the LFS to feed the tank and then see if the fish eats or not. If he does eat then he`ll be OK to bring home. I would not buy a fish unless you see it eat.

Hopefully he`ll make it. One way to make sure this does not happen again is to get the LFS to feed the tank and then see if the fish eats or not. If he does eat then he`ll be OK to bring home. I would not buy a fish unless you see it eat.

I agree. Having worked at a LFS before, I know it can be difficult for the shops to get fish eating prepared foods.

I'm planning on getting a pair of clowns and maybe a small goby and that's it for my tank. When I do get those fish, I'll have the pet store feed them in front of me. If they have a problem with that...no problem for me because I'll just go to another pet store.

I guess my biggest concern for my scooter blenny is that his stomach is still so skinny. Like I said before, he has gotten much more active since I've added the pods. I don't know if this makes too much of a difference, but the rest of his body seems healthy. For example, his tail is still thick. I would feel a lot better if he at least looked full. Ya know, a belly full of pods, lol.

Back
Top Bottom