Bookshelf tank (newb here pls halp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Murk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I've started to think about getting either an aquarium or a terrarium but I'm not sure which one to go for. I'm good with either, but I lean towards the terrarium because of reasons I'll mention in a moment. I have not chosen any animals yet.

I want to built in the tank into my bookshelf. The bookshelf is divided into 2 rows with 4 colons, and I want the tank to fill 2 squares, as seen on the pictures I've added below. A number of potential issues:

Specific dimensions
Weight
The bookshelf leans against the wall behind it, supported by.. metal rods(Dunno what they're called, pic related. They're screwed almost all the way out) It is also screwed to the wall 3 places, also pic related.​
Access to the inside of the tank (aquarium)
Space for required hardware to run the tank

The division of the rooms are easily removed, that's not gonna be a problem.
Dimensions(2 rooms/squares):
H: 385mm
W: 688mm
D: 395mm

Would it be best, and would I even be able to find, a prebuild tank with those dimensions or should I "just" build it myself? If I have to build it myself, what would I need?

I'd like to have something that doesn't take a lot of maintenance.

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxpE-yWbu-pubTE3VGpCcmhYcEE&usp=sharing
Ask for more pictures if needed

In my opinion the metal attaching the bookshelf to the wall isn't providing a ton a support, it's probably more there so it doesn't tip over or maybe just for stability. With that said, the rest of the bookshelf doesn't look like it could support a ton of weight, so I would probably lean more towards the terrarium. As far as the dimensions I think the biggest standard tank that fits there would be a 15 gallon. With that though, there would be minimum space for lighting. If you do custom, you would get a more exact fit and ensure lighting could fit as well. Good luck!

I've thought about cutting a hole in the room/square above the terrarium to put a lamp or two through. Would that work?

How many gallons are we going for here? Every gallon of water is 8 pounds and I'm not really sure the shelf could hold it. If you took out the middle column and reinforced the bottom shelf it could work. Keep in mind how to do water changes if the shelf doesnt allow for much space. You could probably drill a hole into the top shelf of that to put in lamps and food for the fish.

I'm thinking of going for a terrarium instead, seems like less work and smaller chances of the shelf breaking down.

Back
Top Bottom