brain coral not opening in substract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
my brother has been in this hobby for a few months now, and he brought a brain coral not sure the type he has it placed in the sand, and he told me it wasnt opening hes had it for maybe 10 days or so does it need to go higher? he told me his water is perfect all 0s except nitrate maybe 5 or so 6-7 month or so tank

ive been looking around liveaquaria and i think its this coral, Brain Coral, Wellsophyllia

Welsos like to be in the sand. They don't want to be up against any rock that could potentially injure the animal's very delicate flesh. If it isn't opening, I'd have your brother check the Ca, Alk & Mag and get back to us with exact numbers (Salifert test kits or the equivelant). My welso likes a good mag reading to be really happy. Also they enjoy feedings of meaty foods to help them thrive.

Also look to local annoyances... hungry tangs or angels, inverts that are picking at it, etc. As long as the flesh looks good and you can't see the skeletin he should be ok. Mine isn't *always* open either. My welso & lobos both look best in the early hours of the day.

I agree that you need to keep in the sand. They do not like it in the rocks. As with phyls, mine isn`t open all the time either. Check out my gallery and see mine.

i'll ask him if he tests for alk , ca or ma and post it here

Also look to local annoyances... hungry tangs or angels, inverts that are picking at it, etc
Mine stopped opening as it use to. Phyl already mentioned what my problem was.

Back
Top Bottom