Brand New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan Wacker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new here. I am planning on starting a 10 gallon tank with some odessa barbs and some plecos. A few questions, though. First, this is a completely empty tank. What should I do to get it ready for these fish? I have gravel and plants, but I need to know how to prep the water. Also, what inverts could I kee with these fish? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Hello, I'm new here. I am planning on starting a 10 gallon tank with some odessa barbs and some plecos. A few questions, though. First, this is a completely empty tank. What should I do to get it ready for these fish? I have gravel and plants, but I need to know how to prep the water. Also, what inverts could I kee with these fish? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
sorry to say a ten gallon is WAY too small for even one pleco you could possible get away with some odessa barbs after your tank is cycled
here is a link to a video that explains the cycling process ★ The Aquarium Cycle - Illustrated Video ★ - YouTube before you start the nitrogen cycle you need a water dechlorinator so the water is safe for fish ... these are the steps to fish-less cycle your fish tank
1. The first step is to add 100% pure ammonia NO ADDITIVES or SCENT this is very important. Janitorial strength pure ammonia form ACE hardware is a good choice.
2. get your ammonia up to 4 ppm test your water ever 24 hours
3. When the ammonia goes down nitrites will rise be sure to keep your ammonia levels up between 2 and 4 ppm.
4. When nitrites drop nitrates will rise
5.once your ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates are through the roof do a 90% water change
6. just to ensure you are completely cycled add 2-4 ppm of ammonia within 24-48 hours ammonia and nitrites should be 0 now you're fully cycled you need to do more research before you setup a fish tank here is another link on how to fully setup an aquarium step by step How to Set Up a Freshwater Aquarium (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Back
Top Bottom