Breeding angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've have had tropical fish for years but am still a novice and am after some advice please.

I have had a 50 litre tank for years and have just found out that its overstocked and too small for my two angel fish not counting the other fish in there! The angel fish were in here for just over a year with three neons, two pleco and six other fish (I can't remember what they are called)! I've now moved the lot into a new 65 litre tank but I believe I'm right in saying its still too small!! The angels are breeding again so are obviously happy in there. I can't afford a new tank so I'm wondering if I sold on our other fish could we keep the two angel fish in the 65 litre tank?

I'm gutted because I don't want to get rid of any of them. They have been happy in a smaller tank for a year and not become ill or stressed, water has been clean and clear and the fish have even been able to breed but I have to do what's right by these fish!

Many breeders will use a 20g (little bigger than your 65l) for breeding purposes but don't keep them in it for long periods of time.

I personally would get a larger tank to keep the pair in. Have you had any wrigglers/fry? Or do they just lay the eggs and eat them?

I had a couple fry but they got eaten! Not sure how to stop that. The guy at the store told me to take out the angel fish as soon as the eggs hatched. I don't know if that's right?

If they are in with other fish, they too pose a threat. Seems eggs are irresistible to fish.

Typically it takes a few spawns for the parents to get it right. Have you only had one batch of fry?

Had about four lots of eggs but the male angel fish ate them before anything came of it. The fifth batch of eggs lasted longer and I ended up with only two maybe three fry but they were eaten very quickly. Not sure what ate them but like you say the other fish probably took a fancy to them!

I took advice from the store who told me to make some wire mesh to place over the eggs so they could still be fanned and wouldn't be eaten but loads of the eggs died and only a couple lived so I'm not sure that works!

So if I take out the other fish and the angels as soon as I see some fry then they should live?

Do the pair have a specific spot where they always lay the eggs , if so and you can easily access it try putting a peice of smashed flower pot piece or even a rock that can be easily removed by placing in a container under water without touch air ,to a seperate tank without any threats ,now i dont know about if one of the parents is needed to keep the eggs clean and get rid of the dead ones but if the female doesn't eat eggs keep her with the eggs until they hatch also no gravel or sand of any kind in the second tank its easier to count dead fry

Do the pair have a specific spot where they always lay the eggs , if so and you can easily access it try putting a peice of smashed flower pot piece or even a rock that can be easily removed by placing in a container under water without touch air ,to a seperate tank without any threats ,now i dont know about if one of the parents is needed to keep the eggs clean and get rid of the dead ones but if the female doesn't eat eggs keep her with the eggs until they hatch also no gravel or sand of any kind in the second tank its easier to count dead fry

It's better to not move the parents with the eggs. Either let them care for the eggs or remove the eggs and hatch them out yourself in a separate tank. If you do this, you only need to have an airstone blowing gentle bubbles in front of the eggs until they hatch.

To the OP: There is a thread here called "Wigglers at last" which has been a running commentary and instructional thread by active, current breeders about the care and upkeep of Angelfish eggs and fry. It might help if you read through it. (y)

Ok thank you everyone I will definitely try these ideas. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom