Breeding betttas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meanwhile, I have my male visiting the female just to see if it would be a tragedy. I have reasons to believe they accepted each other. Not sure if it can be seen on the photo, but within 5 minutes she had hints of vertical lines.

It is an interesting learning experience, that's for sure.

Attachments

• image-1108369507.jpg
    image-1108369507.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 54
Meanwhile, I have my male visiting the female just to see if it would be a tragedy. I have reasons to believe they accepted each other. Not sure if it can be seen on the photo, but within 5 minutes she had hints of vertical lines.

It is an interesting learning experience, that's for sure.

that is a good sign! Is he displaying to her or giving her flares? As long as he isnt locking her in serious fights you are on a good track...Hoping it all works for you!

He was very aggressive during the first 5 minutes or so, now he is just with the tale open. I turned the lights off but left him there. Tomorrow they might have some more fun...

I definitely want to do halfmoons, personally I find them the prettiest out of all the different kinds if bettas :)

Only problem is that it's hard to find female halfmoons at my lfs, so I might have to order them offline which I'm not very fond of.

For a grow out tank, ill be using a big tub that u already have and I'm going to let the new pair spawn in a smaller 16 gallon tub.

For conditioning I have a few questions.

I planned on putting them in two big jars right next to each other for a week or 2 and having a piece of paper in between so that they can't see each other. I'd then remove the paper 2 times a Day for 20-30 minutes then put the paper back.

Also, Im Definitely feeding them frozen blood worms this time, I figured out my other ones were freeze dried. What other foods can I condition them with that would be at a local Petco? :)

I definitely want to do halfmoons, personally I find them the prettiest out of all the different kinds if bettas :)

Only problem is that it's hard to find female halfmoons at my lfs, so I might have to order them offline which I'm not very fond of.

For a grow out tank, ill be using a big tub that u already have and I'm going to let the new pair spawn in a smaller 16 gallon tub.

For conditioning I have a few questions.

I planned on putting them in two big jars right next to each other for a week or 2 and having a piece of paper in between so that they can't see each other. I'd then remove the paper 2 times a Day for 20-30 minutes then put the paper back.

Also, Im Definitely feeding them frozen blood worms this time, I figured out my other ones were freeze dried. What other foods can I condition them with that would be at a local Petco? :)

I asked my LFS to order me halfmoon females. It never hurts to ask! I also got two lovely halfmoon females from a seller on aquabid.
Frozen brine shrimp would be a good food, so would any live foods if you can find any.

Well an update on my program. After a temp raise suggested by a member here (Thanks Bob) Loki has got about 20 eggs stuck back in the nest. He has Culled out(eaten) all that he must have deemed dead.I know my eyes are bad but I am sure this morning I saw tails out on a few eggs. I will keep close watch and see if any fry are free swimming.

Warrior, sorry to say, your best bet of getting a VIABLE female is online. or as we did here, stumble into them at area fish stores. The best genetic choices will be from reputable breeders, but places like petco and petsmart do have many females to choose from. My female that just bred, was labeled as a Male at Pet supplies plus.. Had to argue with the cashier/fish lady that she indeed was a female....guess her argument is now invalid LOL I know Petco has some nice female HM here, I got one from our local store, and if you get friendly with their fish people, I know they can order bettas for you. Someone on here I believe it was Autumnsky, mentioned the farm Petco gets there bettas from, and its a good farm. And Research research RESEARCH!!! Cant stress that enough! Talk to breeders online, look up every breeding blog. Before I put my first pair together I spent 6 months reading up about it and talking to folks here. I have a betta arsenal as well, all young fish. And I spent some money getting things ready for the fry. such as airpump, airstone/sponge, heaters, tanks, micro worm cultures, the one think I forgot was how small the fry are, I didn't get a magnifying glass!:banghead: And a small fortune getting a breeding pool going with males and females I want to get a bloodline from. But it can be done. I did it back when in the 70's when we did not have all the tech of the 'net and stuff. But out of all the breeds I was only able to get 2 fry to survive to adult.

My updated setup:

10gallon tank, moss for infusoria, leaves for PH and sensual atmosphere. Water level is about 4 inches.

They have been seeing each other for about 24hrs. It seems to me he is interested...

Attachments

• image-522134108.jpg
    image-522134108.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image-188240590.jpg
    image-188240590.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3557820994.jpg
    image-3557820994.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 59
My updated setup:

10gallon tank, moss for infusoria, leaves for PH and sensual atmosphere. Water level is about 4 inches.

They have been seeing each other for about 24hrs. It seems to me he is interested...

yes... he is building a nest...is she paying any attention to him??
maybe time to let them meet....

She is giving attention to him, and even though she is light, I can see what seems to be vertical lines. I still need a week to prepare BBS, let infusoria grow, let the almond leaves do their trick to the water. 2 more weeks and good to go. I will cover her in between and let them play again in the future.

She is giving attention to him, and even though she is light, I can see what seems to be vertical lines. I still need a week to prepare BBS, let infusoria grow, let the almond leaves do their trick to the water. 2 more weeks and good to go. I will cover her in between and let them play again in the future.

depends on how fast she stripes up!!! LOL she has seen a male now and will be getting eggy soon and he is nest building cuz he seen her. During that time condition him and her with good foods like frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp if they like them. If ya got skeeter larvae around, those would be great. Make sure your male eats good, cuz like mine now, he will go about 3 or 4 days not eating (except any bad eggs he will eat) Keep both of em happy and full and warm.

Okay I picked up a beautiful white delta tail at Petco today and was thinking of breeding him with one of my veil tail ladies in the sorority. How does that sound? Would it work with two different tail types?

warrior13 said:
Okay I picked up a beautiful white delta tail at Petco today and was thinking of breeding him with one of my veil tail ladies in the sorority. How does that sound? Would it work with two different tail types?

You would mostly end up with veil tailed babies, as it is dominant, with some having closer to the delta shaped tail.

You would mostly end up with veil tailed babies, as it is dominant, with some having closer to the delta shaped tail.

Would there be like a hybrid between the 2? Also, the babies will be normal right? They won't be harmed any If I cross breed the parents?

Also how would color combinations work? The male is all white and the female is blood red?

warrior13 said:
Would there be like a hybrid between the 2? Also, the babies will be normal right? They won't be harmed any If I cross breed the parents?

Also how would color combinations work? The male is all white and the female is blood red?

The fins and colors are just genetic variations. All colors and fin types are the same fish, Betta splendens. It's not hybridization, just combining different genetics. Kind of like breeding a yellow guppy with a blue one. I would suggest you do some research on betta genetics as that's the best way to predict the results of a spawn.

48 hors seeing each other. Should I wait for more bubbles or release the female?

Attachments

• image-2706345799.jpg
    image-2706345799.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3461436317.jpg
    image-3461436317.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 80
hi all I'm a newbie at betta breeding.. about 2 and a half months ago I had a successful batch but I just ran into a horrible problem with the tank... noticed film of white on the heater a few days ago and that was when I noticed a bunch of my fry have been dying off nonstop... Im not sure if they will make it.. ive changed 100 % water, cleaned the whole tank.. but they are still lying on their sides or floating on top of the water... HELP!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130511_111630.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130511_111630.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 69
I finished the week of conditioning Wednesday and the female has been in her globe for over 24 hours now, has verticals bars, and the male has a n incredible bubble nest. Can I release the female now?

Back
Top Bottom