Breeding betttas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I let her out about 10 mins ago. And so the chasing begins!!

Good luck!

My fry are still doing well, and hopefully tomorrow I can pick some new males up at my LFS, if she got anything good in. I am hoping for a nice half-moon, dumbo ears, or hmpk male with nice color.

How long do they chase each other, the male is chasing and biting her fins and tummy and then leaves her alone. She hasn't went head down yet

I had one pair start breeding within 15 mins with no real chasing, and another took a day and a half of him chasing and her hiding. I was actually going in to take the female out when I caught them in the middle of spawning. Those are the fry I have right now, at almost a month old.

I had one pair start breeding within 15 mins with no real chasing, and another took a day and a half of him chasing and her hiding. I was actually going in to take the female out when I caught them in the middle of spawning. Those are the fry I have right now, at almost a month old.

Okay , I think just all the chasing makes me think the female is being abused but I guess that's what they do lol. Ill keep you all updated and ask questions if I have any:)

Just watch out for injury. As long as he isn't hurting her it's ok. I had one female I put in and he ripped a chunk out of one of her fins within 10 mins. I took her out and started conditioning another girl. The one he chased for a day didn't have a scratch on her when they were done. He chased her around but didn't nip at her or hurt her at all.

Just watch out for injury. As long as he isn't hurting her it's ok. I had one female I put in and he ripped a chunk out of one of her fins within 10 mins. I took her out and started conditioning another girl. The one he chased for a day didn't have a scratch on her when they were done. He chased her around but didn't nip at her or hurt her at all.

The females tail fin is slightly ripped in a few spots but that's it so far. She's still swimming around fine. The male is now going up to her, flaring, then swimming away. If I remember correctly, that's a good sign right?

Sounds good. Just keep an eye on them and hopefully they will start embracing!

Sounds good. Just keep an eye on them and hopefully they will start embracing!

He's not chasing her anymore. She's just kinda roaming the tank and he swims up to her and it seems like basically checking up on her then swimming back to his nest.

He's not chasing her anymore. She's just kinda roaming the tank and he swims up to her and it seems like basically checking up on her then swimming back to his nest.
That's called Betta courting. That's what's happening. He's courting her to come to his nest to spawn.

Good luck (y)

Okay :) I have a quick question. Before I go to bed, should I turn my light off? I've had it on all day? Also should I let the female stay in the tank withy the male or put her back in her little jar that separates her from him but still have it in the tank

Okay :) I have a quick question. Before I go to bed, should I turn my light off? I've had it on all day? Also should I let the female stay in the tank withy the male or put her back in her little jar that separates her from him but still have it in the tank

I breed my Bettas outside so there is no light at night. (You can turn yours off ;))
If the male has stopped beating the female, I leave her loose in the tank (provided there are places for her to hide in). If the male is still chasing and biting her, I put my females back into their bottles (inside the tank for visual continuity) at night and release her first thing in the morning before lights on.

Hope this helps (y)

I turned the lights off last night and left her in with him. She still looks to be doing fine. I don't think they have spawned yet. The male is still flaring and swimming away. Not really bothering her. I think I saw the female go head down last night but idk if she was just chilling like that or if she was actually doing it lol.

I breed them professionally Anything such a 5 liter plastic box filled half ways about 4 to 5" would do set the heater on to around 28-29C don't forget to use mature water it doesn't have to be clean because debris=micro organism which is best food source for betas first few days after their yolk sack is gone add live plants which is advises an some snails am using shrimps with snails best method as they make food source for fry all the time also use Indian almond leaf I tried to breed bettas many times but this leaf makes them breed definitely it also produce chemicals against fungus "tannins" and lower the ph to make the water similar to their nature, also don't forget to feed the pair with live food for at least 2 weeks

Also I don't separate pair insoles male turn to be more aggressive if so separate them because when the female is hiding male wont show interest therefore won't build bubble nest, if you have almond leaf male will definitely use it to build a bubble nest, it's also easier to find out if they have spawn because you can lift the almond leaf and Check the bubble nest almond leaf makes it to stay together and it prevents it from poping, once the nest is build into nice size release the female if its separated and check back later once they have spawned you will see nice little white eggs inside each bubble good luck

I turned the lights off last night and left her in with him. She still looks to be doing fine. I don't think they have spawned yet. The male is still flaring and swimming away. Not really bothering her. I think I saw the female go head down last night but idk if she was just chilling like that or if she was actually doing it lol.

Just so you know, that head down motion is the female's way of telling the male SHE is ready to mate. ;) ;) He needs to get ready.:brows:
Just keep your eye on them, looking for post spawning activity. (Female hiding, male under the nest working with the eggs.) This is more important than watching the spawning. This is when the males can get really aggressive and kill the females. She needs to be removed from the tank post spawn.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for all the tips guys!

They've been together for a full day now. Ill check when I get home if the spawned. If not, how Long should I let them stay together before separation?

Thanks for all the tips guys!

They've been together for a full day now. Ill check when I get home if the spawned. If not, how Long should I let them stay together before separation?

I've had fish spawn within 45 minutes of introduction to 7 days from introduction. As long as he is not beating her, they can stay together. IF, however, they seem to stop trying or become aggressive towards each other, time to separate them and look at your water parameters and possibly recondition the pair.

Hope this helps (y)

The dark side of breeding bettas. Aggressive female...

This guy is recovering well.

Attachments

• image-199535775.jpg
    image-199535775.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 59
The dark side of breeding bettas. Aggressive female...

This guy is recovering well.

Ouch... She really did a number on him! I'm glad he is recovering, though. It is a risk we take. It's why I plan on getting lots of nice "before" pics of my fishies before I breed them. My first pair came out of it just fine, though. Some split fins for Ninja and no real marks on the female. I hope things work as well with the next spawn for me, though. Should be getting around to that sometime very very soon. Unfortunately things popped up last week like a massive tank leak that kept me from starting my spawning tank back up. I have vacation time coming soon, though! Can't wait for Sept. 10th...

Back
Top Bottom