Breeding Guppy for a bit if money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah could be i guess. I will try to find somewhere else to buy some males, as the LFS probably get all the Endlers at the same place, and i don't want to breed and sell animals that cant even live a full 24 hours after being introduced... I could understand them being constantly stressed and wilting away but 12 hours? Thats not fair... Not sure if im willing to pay the online ordering price, but maybe.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

A few folks here on the site sell Endlers. Live Fins has them good quality fish and I'm pretty sure the prices listed for Endlers include shipping.

Yeah could be i guess. I will try to find somewhere else to buy some males, as the LFS probably get all the Endlers at the same place, and i don't want to breed and sell animals that cant even live a full 24 hours after being introduced... I could understand them being constantly stressed and wilting away but 12 hours? Thats not fair... Not sure if im willing to pay the online ordering price, but maybe.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Good plan to buy from another source. If you can't find anyone local you may have to mail order to get decent stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442519293.157276.jpg

Thats the tank, i like the look. It has a little bit if Java Miss which i had in low light for awhile but I've put the new light in the tank, which is brighter, but probably not excellent plant-growing material.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442519381.806717.jpg

So high tech, huh? But it works, and it was cheap too. Just growing Java Moss which I've heard is basically the plant version of a Cockroach, i.e. indestructible. So yeah!

Also i put the new Sponge filter on it, its going to stay there after it grows some BB, and i will take off the HOB to reduce flow for the Betta. The HOB will probably end up on a 5 or 10 with a DP.

The sponge filter is actually pretty hideable, it a duel one and not to big and bulky. I will get it filled with BB and then put one of its sponges on a different sponge filter (i ordered a few online) so that they are both able to support a little bit of fish as the BB population grows.

I really want to punch something...

Just found the Betta with one of the females trying to escape him, two more floating with fins torn, and another one is MIA... He just killed off a solid $40 in new fish, possibly up to $55 depending on if he did kill the males or if they died of other causes.

ERRRRAAAAHHHGGGHHH!

... ?

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Doh, Your breeding these! Why keep them with other species? You got this dude. Welcome to breeding, lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was waiting to get a fish out of the 20, as well as for the sponge filter to cycle... I was NOT planning on it being anything more than a couple of weeks...

And i know its a thing that happens... But that was a helluva lot of non-refundable money that i just shoved down the crapper. Not happy with myself OR Mr. Betta.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

And the fish in the 20 was a Texas i was trying to beef up a bit, i sold him yesterday because I've as going to the LfS and he wasn't really part of the breeding group... So the Endlers had a chance with the Betta but none with the Tex.

On the flip side of the coin, ive decided to use the 20 as a sump for the 75 at some point. And am going to be using a bunch of 2.5s and 5 gallons to breed both Guppy/Endler and Killis.

Breeding for money is different than keeping fish in a fish tank. If you want fry to sell, you want nothing in the tank that can eat the fry. Doesn't matter what kind of fry it is. There is a reason why Bettas are known as Siamese Fighting Fish and that name should not be take lightly. More Bettas will attack anything that has colors like them so mixing them with Guppies or Endlers is NEVER a good idea. You are just playing with fire if you do. :nono: If you want a Betta, keep it alone or with other fish you don't care if you lose because the potential for loss is always there with a Betta.

There's your best lesson on fish breeding. (y) It's a lesson I'm sure you won;t need to be taught again. ;) ( Don't feel bad tho, we all have done something like this before too. :whistle:

Im researching sumps ATM as well. Ive got a breeding rack. Pre drilled. Sump and 500gph pump... Let the fun begin.

Breeding for money is different than keeping fish in a fish tank. If you want fry to sell, you want nothing in the tank that can eat the fry. Doesn't matter what kind of fry it is. There is a reason why Bettas are known as Siamese Fighting Fish and that name should not be take lightly. More Bettas will attack anything that has colors like them so mixing them with Guppies or Endlers is NEVER a good idea. You are just playing with fire if you do. :nono: If you want a Betta, keep it alone or with other fish you don't care if you lose because the potential for loss is always there with a Betta.

There's your best lesson on fish breeding. (y) It's a lesson I'm sure you won;t need to be taught again. ;) ( Don't feel bad tho, we all have done something like this before too. :whistle:

Again; the Endlers were in there for a MAX of 2 weeks, that was what i was planning on, and the Endler females couldn't even breed quite yet anyways. I know that when I'm actually breeding them its a different game. But unless you would've suggested i put the smallest Texas, which was pulled cause it wasn't being allowed food, in the 10 with the Betta and put the Endlers in the 20, then there was nothing else to do. I wasn't planning on breeding them in the tank with the Betta, and i definitely didn't expect, however dumb on my part, the Betta to maul them. Especially not the dull females. Plus, the tank had a lot of spaces that an Endler could hide but a Betta couldn't... But such is life i suppose, even though its a pain in the donkey.

Im researching sumps ATM as well. Ive got a breeding rack. Pre drilled. Sump and 500gph pump... Let the fun begin.

Lol you seem further ahead in your research than i am. I am just barely getting started... Im not even sure how I'm going to power it and whatnot,but i will find a way... I hope.

Again; the Endlers were in there for a MAX of 2 weeks, that was what i was planning on, and the Endler females couldn't even breed quite yet anyways. I know that when I'm actually breeding them its a different game. But unless you would've suggested i put the smallest Texas, which was pulled cause it wasn't being allowed food, in the 10 with the Betta and put the Endlers in the 20, then there was nothing else to do. I wasn't planning on breeding them in the tank with the Betta, and i definitely didn't expect, however dumb on my part, the Betta to maul them. Especially not the dull females. Plus, the tank had a lot of spaces that an Endler could hide but a Betta couldn't... But such is life i suppose, even though its a pain in the donkey.

True, it's "spilled milk" now but you should have removed the betta to another container ( even a jar :eek:) for those 2 weeks so that the endlers were not in jeopardy. The Betta would have survived as I've kept thousands of them in jars for long periods of times with no ill effects. You just do more frequent water changes. But, as I said lesson learned. Time to move on. ;) (y)

True, it's "spilled milk" now but you should have removed the betta to another container ( even a jar :eek:) for those 2 weeks so that the endlers were not in jeopardy. The Betta would have survived as I've kept thousands of them in jars for long periods of times with no ill effects. You just do more frequent water changes. But, as I said lesson learned. Time to move on. ;) (y)

Yep. Im not trying to disagree, just explain. I should've been safe instead of just going with the general opinion that they are fine together.

I really want to punch something...

Just found the Betta with one of the females trying to escape him, two more floating with fins torn, and another one is MIA... He just killed off a solid $40 in new fish, possibly up to $55 depending on if he did kill the males or if they died of other causes.

ERRRRAAAAHHHGGGHHH!

... ?

I totally understand why you did this. I had an ancient male betta in with guppies and currently two other males in two other guppy tanks. Some bettas are ok with other fish and some are blood thirsty killers. Lol I wouldn't put a betta with fish that I was concerned about. You made an oops and learned from it. We all make mistakes. I agree with Andy that if you are ever in a similar situation putting a fish like a betta in a jar or even some Tupperware is the way to go. Sounds like you are having a string of bad luck and I hope you don't get discouraged. Things could be way worse. I once made a non fish related $500 mistake and got myself in a real mess. If you ever want a list of oops that could fill a book pm and I can guarantee a good laugh.

:)

I totally understand why you did this. I had an ancient male betta in with guppies and currently two other males in two other guppy tanks. Some bettas are ok with other fish and some are blood thirsty killers. Lol I wouldn't put a betta with fish that I was concerned about. You made an oops and learned from it. We all make mistakes. I agree with Andy that if you are ever in a similar situation putting a fish like a betta in a jar or even some Tupperware is the way to go. Sounds like you are having a string of bad luck and I hope you don't get discouraged. Things could be way worse. I once made a non fish related $500 mistake and got myself in a real mess. If you ever want a list of oops that could fill a book pm and I can guarantee a good laugh.

:)

Yeah, i can agree i screwed up...

More than anything I'm just upset i lost the money they were worth... I complain a lot about budget problemmos but... Yeah.

I was just worried about you getting discouraged and leaving the hobby. You know so much and to give up would be a travesty.

Back
Top Bottom