Breeding hardy fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

My tank is currently cycling, but I'm planning on breeding some hardy fish. Any recommendations on what species of fish I should start with? And what are the ideal conditions for breeding?

Thanks

Hunter

How large is the tank?
Here is a list of fish I know will breed without you helping them:
Guppies
Platies
Swordtails
Goldfish
Koi
Some killifish
Most mbuna

What's your favorite fish? I'd start there.

Mbuna are too big for a 10g. Most breeding tanks I see are about 30-40 gallons.

There are a lot of pretty extravagent looking killifish out there that are relatively easy to breed and some that are extremely difficult. I'd start easy with some egg sticking killis and then move on to other fish or peat spawning killifish as you progress in the hobby. Breeding other fish will have to wait until you get a bigger tank.

Also you will probably need more tanks or a bigger one anyways to house the offspring.

I have a few small tanks that are currently empty, so I will be using those for the baby fish. And I can give them to my sister and she can put the baby fish in her tanks. What I'm wondering is how to create the most ideal conditions for breeding, and how many of those easily breedable kilifish I should get.

Back
Top Bottom