Breeding Paradise Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think she just took a fine tip black marker and put dots all over the glass lol! Congrats koi!

Well they are still going strong. I changed the water in the tank which was more difficult than I had thought because I had to use a turkey baster lol

Well they are still going strong. I changed the water in the tank which was more difficult than I had thought because I had to use a turkey baster lol

You could use an air hose and siphon into a jar. If you accidentally suck some up you could always siphon them back. Been doing that with my angel fry. They get overly curious in the hose and boom there they go. Lol

The problem with that is that there are so many fry in the tank its next to impossible to use a hose without sucking up fry. It takes a while but what I do is suck up some water with the baster which is clear, inspect the contents for fry then squirt it in the bucket. For the majority of the water change I did use some tubing though, I put a rubber band around some panty hose on the tubing but for the gunk on the bottom if the tank I just had to take the time and suck it out with the baster.

The problem with that is that there are so many fry in the tank its next to impossible to use a hose without sucking up fry. It takes a while but what I do is suck up some water with the baster which is clear, inspect the contents for fry then squirt it in the bucket. For the majority of the water change I did use some tubing though, I put a rubber band around some panty hose on the tubing but for the gunk on the bottom if the tank I just had to take the time and suck it out with the baster.

Wow! Either it's a small tank, a lot of fry or both! I've got about 150 fry in a 10 gal. They are start to come to the front when I'm in the room so I put the hose at the back of the tank. I first start with the poop at the bottom first with the hose, return the fry that do get sucked up, and then stick those at the back to pull out the water. The panty hose is a good idea. Think I'm going to use it myself

Well I lost my fry :(
I believe that it was due to the lack of a filter in the tank despite the small water changes.
Just an hour ago I noticed that my male is building a nest in the main tank. I'm thinking of letting him be until I get all of my ducks in a row and am more prepared now that I know what to expect from them.
I now have a sponge filter in the breeding tank so there should be no filtration issues in the future.

Well I lost my fry :(
I believe that it was due to the lack of a filter in the tank despite the small water changes.
Just an hour ago I noticed that my male is building a nest in the main tank. I'm thinking of letting him be until I get all of my ducks in a row and am more prepared now that I know what to expect from them.
I now have a sponge filter in the breeding tank so there should be no filtration issues in the future.

Sorry to hear that but.... it's not that unexpected. Without trying to sound too harsh, what all you potential fish breeding guys and gals need to understand is that most fish fry will not survive by just "winging it." It takes careful preperation to successfully raise fish fry. Getting eggs is easy. Having the eggs hatch is almost as easy. Having the fry survive and mature, not an easy task. It's why captive raised fish cost what they cost. It takes time, space and money to raise fish. It ain't cheap!!
Get yourself fully prepared and go at it again. Now that you know what to expect, your next spawn should be a success ;) The plan I layed out for you is exactly how I raised these fish. Duplicate it and you should be successful as well.
Good luck (y)

Thanks Andy :) The fry did survive until this past week which is longer than I had expected. I am for sure going to wait to spawn them and have the culture and tank ready to go before hand before even attempting spawning them again.
You have given me wonderful advice along the way and I thank you for it :)
As for now I am just going to let the male keep building the nest as he see's fit, there are no females in the tank with him anyways so his hopes of becoming a papa again will just have to wait lol

Thanks Andy :) The fry did survive until this past week which is longer than I had expected. I am for sure going to wait to spawn them and have the culture and tank ready to go before hand before even attempting spawning them again.
You have given me wonderful advice along the way and I thank you for it :)
As for now I am just going to let the male keep building the nest as he see's fit, there are no females in the tank with him anyways so his hopes of becoming a papa again will just have to wait lol

That's the ticket (y) For now, he will just be like a store keeping waiting for a customer. He'll just keep rearranging his stock and advertising his wares :D

If he gets bored, play him some Tiny Bubbles by Don Ho. lol

Well I was in for a big surprise tonight

View attachment 143839

He is being very attentive to the eggs and spends allot of his time moving them and putting bubbles over them. :)
I will update with more pictures soon

I know it's been a long time since this thread has been opened, but I work at PetSmart and I'm new to this site, and I've been browsing the threads to soak up some knowledge. I just HAD to comment on this picture, Butterfly_Koi, because it is so BEAUTIFUL! I looove the way the two are circling each other with their eggs floating above them. :love:
Also, I hope you've had luck with more fry. When I was breeding my convicts I know that my favourite part was watching the little guys grow.

I just HAD to comment on this picture, Butterfly_Koi, because it is so BEAUTIFUL! I looove the way the two are circling each other with their eggs floating above them. :love:
Also, I hope you've had luck with more fry.

Why thank you EG6256 :)
Unfortunately I have rehomed them, they were monsters in the community tank. They went to a friend of mine who actually spawned them last night :)
And yes watching them spawn is beautiful, the courtship is not because it's an attack fest but it's fun to watch the actual spawning process.

Back
Top Bottom