Breeding Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollyMaster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody know anything about breeding plecos, is it even possible in a 90gal.? i got an albino pleco today and it looks outa this world,:new-alien: like it ive n a cave for 4587426585682586820years jk

Was in a store and saw a lady selling some fry from hers, but didn't ask any questions so I assume it is possible....

Possible, but difficult. Everything has to be EXACTLY right, and one certain pleco was easier to breed than the albino and the others.

Bristle nose plecos are some of the easiest to breed. They do get territorial and do use a cave type thing usually but not always. There is a few people locally that always seems to have some very reasonable. The one guy had to actually separate the male and female he had over 700 fry to get rid of. His bred in a tank with angels so it is possible in a community tank. I remember reading or hearing there is an easy way to tell a male from a female bristle nose early one has a red mark on its head I am not for sure if it the male or female.

Spawning Bristlenose Plecostamus (Ancistrus dolichopterus)

Bristle nose plecos are some of the easiest to breed. They do get territorial and do use a cave type thing usually but not always. There is a few people locally that always seems to have some very reasonable. The one guy had to actually separate the male and female he had over 700 fry to get rid of. His bred in a tank with angels so it is possible in a community tank. I remember reading or hearing there is an easy way to tell a male from a female bristle nose early one has a red mark on its head I am not for sure if it the male or female.

Spawning Bristlenose Plecostamus (Ancistrus dolichopterus)

Agreed. BN plecos are quite easy to breed provided the right conditions. It might take a while but once they start there is no stopping them.

I suggest that you take a look at planet catfish. Its an excellent site and will provide you most, if not all information you require to successfully keep these species.
Here is a link to the albino BN pleco
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

Keep in mind that plecos can be very shy at first. They need some time to acclimate to their new environment. Provide it with enough hiding places and you will see it more often

breeding plecos is something i just considered to do in the future i just thought it was a cool idea
thanx

Back
Top Bottom