Breeding snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys
Today my brither and i bought 2 mystery snails and i love then so far! That are very active (compared to other snails) and they are pretty facinating. Now my question is do they reproduce quickly? And i want more, so should i just buy more, or wait for them to have babies? Thanks!

They are not like other snails. If you want babies you have to make sure you have a male and female. :) Just google sexing mystery/apple snails. I'd you have one of each just sit back and wait. Might be a while though, I've been waiting 6months! :(

I have two gold apple snails in my big tank as well and I am hoping I am lucky enough to have a male and female. I have seen them stuck together a few times so I am hoping they are going to spawn.

be careful what you wish for. a single clutch (batch of eggs) can produce hundreds of babies. Do you have room to house all those snails? If you don't, do you have an outlet to get rid of them? Releasing them into the wild is not an option. Just something to think about

Hahah ya i could probably give them away if i had too! Haha so it seems like the odds are very low so i kinda just want to buy more :D

Yeah I was looking at mine today and they both have a protrusion on the left side when they come out, I'm not sure if this means they are both males or not.

Haha how do you know what sex they are? And mine went on the glass and i saw its little mouth eating algea! Haha so cool

The diagram is nice it just doesn't help me when I look at the real thing trying to figure out if I see a penis sheath or not.

Snails are asexual meaning if they mate themselves own there own no partener needed but be careful you may have a big problem soon

Benaquagrande120 said:
Snails are asexual meaning if they mate themselves own there own no partener needed but be careful you may have a big problem soon

That is usually the case but mystery/apple snails have different sexes. So you need a male and a female snail to have baby snails. :)

Gboy66 said:
Do they eat algea?

Yep! Plant matter (rotting or some eat live plants), blanched green vege, fish food, algae wafers and dead fish too. Not that I advise you feed them dead fish but I've had fish die overnight and get eaten by the snails by morning.

Snails breed out of control. And I heard they can switch gender to make equation wrk as they party both male Amd.female organs. I had two and had to break tank down to get rid of the snail infestation!!!

Back
Top Bottom