Brenna ' s fish room basement build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe there is one by South Bend. Let me find it and get back to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish just arrived. I believe I paid $69 for Express shipping from TN. I need to double check that price. What I got was a box that took 2 days and actual shipping as per the usps label was $30.17. I have to watch my language but, that's one hell of a packaging mark up! Haven't opened the fish yet. Letting them acclimate to light and temp while in the box for a few minutes. For this price if there are any dead I'm really going to be angry

Ok. No dead and no extras of any sorts or plants or food samples to make me less irritated at the $30+ markup. I did document my steps for those of you who are curious or who have not gotten fish shipped before.

Disclaimer: this is MY method. Others do other things. Whatever works for you is what's best. I don't mind constructive criticism or tips but this is just my way and it's not my first rodeo.
So first I lift one bag out of the box and check for dead fish. The fish were all individually bagged and then in another big bag. Males together, then females and then corys. So I put a drop of Prime in a specimen container and start cutting bags open and putting fish with their bag water in the container. The Prime helps neutralize any ammonia type stuff that may be in the bag water. Next I hang the container from the tank it's going in to help with temp. I add a small amount of my tank water every 30 minutes or so to the container. Normally I turn the tank light off but being the guppies are in the bottom tank and they are black I needed to leave light on so I can see what I'm doing and monitor them. Light is off for corys.

Something I read about corys and I have no idea of its true is that when they get very stressed they release a toxic substance that poisons everything in the bag including themselves. Anyone heard of this?

Attachments

• 1441906766952.jpg
    1441906766952.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 1441906783717.jpg
    1441906783717.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 72
Ok, I'm a liar. Shipping was $39 so I paid a $9 handling fee. I can deal with that. I think I forgot just hiw much the fish were. Lol

how are the fish. are they hardy? i have never has success with guppy's, they always died after they gave birth.

how are the fish. are they hardy? i have never has success with guppy's, they always died after they gave birth.

Really? I'm going t o have to be awful with the Thai strain of the black moscows but otherwise I'd say guppies are hardy. The Thai ones came with virgin females I believe. If they are too pregnant when you buy them and then transport them they could drop all the fry prematurely and then they may not be the most fertile after that I was told.

Did you have a lot of plants? The bigger the females the older they are usually so that could factor in.

i know guppy's are Hardy as a hole but my theory, is that the have be inbreed so much the females are week

Quite possible. I bought two different strains from two different breeders on the black moscows because of that.

Ok here are the blue moscows and the purple. They are hard to tell apart in my light. Also keep in mind that they both are from old strains so a lot of developement has happened in some lines. I didn't pay even half of what the purples go for online. I may need to work on the line a bit to improve colors but that's fine.

Top pic is blue/green. Second pic are the purples. My water is a little cloudy and has tannins. These 2 strains were raised on very hard water so we will see if my water which is a little softer changes anything. Also my light is very yellow. I need to change out the bulbs but they're new so maybe in a while.

Attachments

• 1441909022854.jpg
    1441909022854.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 1441909121650.jpg
    1441909121650.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 73
My second batch if corys eggs are hatching now and I just got my Amazon shipment with my brine shrimp hatchery. Good timing. I'll try to get a pic of the cory fry. They are so very tint at this stage.

Just put the Thai black moscows in their tank. So far so good. I'm going to wait a bit then offer a tiny bit of food. The fish I got yesterday were little beggars and wanted to eat asap but you just have to see how stressed the fish are and that. Sometimes it's best to wait until the next day even.

Next up the black corys go in their new tank.

Awesome! Cories are so cute, baby cories must be irresistible

Here you go. Cory fry born today. They still have egg sacks attached. Notice their long tails. The unhatcged eggs look green in the pic due to the methylene blue to prevent fungus.

Attachments

• 1441917539290.jpg
    1441917539290.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 1441917560166.jpg
    1441917560166.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 75
Forever. They are c. Aeneus. Not sure about the other species yet.

Here are some of the shrimp I got for like 10 cents a piece.

Attachments

• 1441917958581.jpg
    1441917958581.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 71
The black corys are small so I decided to entice with white worms. They're going nuts.

Attachments

• 1441918512237.jpg
    1441918512237.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 1441918533976.jpg
    1441918533976.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 70
Guppies are pretty stressed it seems. I gave them some white worms and they didn't go for them. I turned their light off to try to ease the stress for them.

Back
Top Bottom