Brian's 2.11g Rimless Pico Cube (AquaTop)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Janis and Bill. I think a nerite will resolve the algae. If i didn't have the Betta, some shrimp would look and do awesome in this cube.

The other day i saw a little fruit fly sitting on the rim of the tank and i flicked it in the water. My little betta went in predator mode and totally went JAWS on it! Haha.. Cool watching nature in action!

Haha! Yeah, it's cool when bettas go on the hunt! Unfortunately mine went hunting for RCS... I couldn't believe how far she could open that mouth of hers... I was scared for a minute! :eyes:
That's kind of the reason I'm going to change directions for the my 5 and simplify... I really want something that showcases the hardscape and my betta with just a few select easy care plants.

If i didn't have the Betta, some shrimp would look and do awesome in this cube./QUOTE]

I believe you should give it a try with some ghost shrimp to chexk it out. I am on my second tank now with bettas and shrimp. Besides the initial interaction out of curiosity, they seem to be doing really well. 1 tank for over 6 weeks, one with 3 weeks.

Rc, I had the same experience... At first... My female lived with 4-5 RCS for a while with no problems... Then one day she got super aggressive any time I tried adding new inhabitants... I tried keeping her in a net for a few hours after I added some more shrimp... Lights out and everything... She still went on the hunt and took them all out. And that's when I was buying them from the LFS for $3.99 a pop!

But you're right, I'd try some ghosties first... They might seem like less of a threat, not being bright red... Lol, and IME ghosties actually make for really great cleaners, they eat and eat and eat!

I guess that was my problem. I had the betta first and when I was introducing the amano shrimp in my 6g, she didn't hesitate and ripped some legs off. I had to quickly remove her to save the amano that didn't experience her wrath! haha

The shrimp have several places to hide, but they are freely walking right in front of the fish. This is the behavior since day 2.

Attachments

• image-1647791198.jpg
    image-1647791198.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image-652063698.jpg
    image-652063698.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 91
I so want a nice rimless cube I have a 55 I'm converting to 1/2 rimless I hope it come out looking as good as I'm hoping. Your lil tank there looks sweet. Is that water clover I see carpeting the foreground.

Rcguerra said:
The shrimp have several places to hide, but they are freely walking right in front of the fish. This is the behavior since day 2.

I had the a similar experience with my betta and shrimp... right up until they had babies. My betta ate them, discovered how tasty they were, and soon started stalking the larger shrimp. I ended up rehoming him as well as my Siamese algae eater who also started to eat baby shrimp.

Apparently, tiny shrimp are as yummy to these fish as jumbo shrimp are to most people. >.<

I so want a nice rimless cube I have a 55 I'm converting to 1/2 rimless I hope it come out looking as good as I'm hoping. Your lil tank there looks sweet. Is that water clover I see carpeting the foreground.

Thank you.. These little cubes are fun. The low iron high clarity glass and silicone work are superb. You should get one! Haha

Anyways... The marsilea crenata is barely doing anything since i put them in. Instead, they just attract diatoms and brown hair algae. Haha... Still need to get a nerite snail too.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Anyways... The marsilea crenata is barely doing anything since i put them in. Instead, they just attract diatoms and brown hair algae. Haha... Still need to get a nerite snail too.

My marsilea crenata is mostly just sitting there, too. The marsilea quadrofolia does much better in all of my tanks. I'm glad I ordered both types when I decided to change things up. I haven't given up on the crenata but the quadrofolia grows circles around the dwarf stuff. I find it attracts less algae than my HC but that may just be luck. Yeah, I love my nerites! Got the olive, tiger and zebra types. I wish horned nerites were easier to find. -_-

Seems this thread has stalled... but I'm following too

Love the buildup, love the examples, love the documentation! Great job :)

I am so taken by the beauty and micro-coolness that I want to join the Planted Rimless Club too, nano division of course ;)

Haha... Thanks octanejunkie!!! I'll send you an invite to join "the club."

Anyway... not much going on with this little Pico tank. I threw in more Anubias Petite to fill in the center area more. The marsilea crenata isn't doing much in this tank... no growth and not really dead either... I think I'm going to move it to a high tech tank and move in more DHG which seems to be doing much better due to it shooting off runners. I started dosing a little more Glut that's probably why the DHG has responded.

Here's some recent pics:

iKJvaWIWsOped.jpg

iy8LNCZhZnRFb.jpg

ims2DVGr27MOw.jpg

Those pics are great, thanks for sharing!

Since first finding this forum, and your thread, I've been researching a similar buildup... all hardgoods are less than $110 shipped... I almost can't find a reason not to build one... perhaps for shrimp and a few nano fish.

Do you plan to have any livestock in there?

Also how do you like that light for growing plants?

And, is this the same filter ?

Did you upgrade your filter media or are you using the Azoo media?

Sorry for so many questions :flowers:

Thanks... I had my female betta in here for the longest but had to move her to my other tank to help keep the BB alive in the filter. I now have a single dwarf puffer... it's a long story but I had 3 in my 6g rimless tank, 2 of which died because they got sucked onto the Lily pipe intake. So this is his temporary home until I can figure something out. I might trade him in at the LFS and just keep shrimp in here.

The light I'm using is great but only suitable for low light plants. What type of plants are you thinking? There's definitely other lighting options.

Yup... that's the filter I'm using. Amazon ridiculously raised they price. I got it there last month for 12$. If you have other supplies to get, you should buy it from Dr. Fosters and Smith.. last time I checked it's 9$ and ships free if you buy 50$ worth of stuff. I hardly customized the media chamber.. I used the sponges it came with along with a few biomax media from my established filter to seed it with BB.

So are you getting the 2.1g 20cm cube or something else?

Thanks... I had my female betta in here for the longest but had to move her to my other tank to help keep the BB alive in the filter. I now have a single dwarf puffer... it's a long story but I had 3 in my 6g rimless tank, 2 of which died because they got sucked onto the Lily pipe intake. So this is his temporary home until I can figure something out. I might trade him in at the LFS and just keep shrimp in here.

Don't let the shrimp get sucked up!!!!! :eek: - dramatic part added for effect, but how does one keep the shrimp from getting sucked up AND have CO2? I haven't had CO2, so no clue.

No co2 in this tank. The Azoo Palm filter comes with a sponge prefilter to prevent them from getting sucked up. Haha...like the dramatic flare you added!

Yes, Brian, I already ordered the 2.11-Gal TruAqua Nano Cube and the 15W heater w thermostat for nano tanks (gotta be prepared for the brutal So Cal winter) :rolleyes:

I've not ordered a light yet. For $37 delivered I might see what my other options are for a clip-on nano... obviously once I decide what plants I want to grow. Iid like to keep it low dough, low tech (no Co2) and low maintenance - because I'm lazy and too many other hobbies (including a 7 yo daughter).

Thanks for the tip on the power filter pricing. Perhaps I'll look to bundle the filter and light purchase form Dr. Foster.

In response to Autmnsky's point (well taken, thanks) I was planning on sleeving the input with a foam pre-filter sponge like this one, or something else compatible. What are you using Brian?

Trying not to HJ this thread, perhaps I'll start my own soon :blink:

No worries.. I don't consider it hijacking...

There's an included prefilter sponge if that's a concern for you. No need to buy a separate one.

In terms of lighting, aside from the one I got, there's this.. I believe it's the same light just the orientation of the light is different.
http://www.marinedepot.com/UP_Aqua_..._Aquariums-UP_Aqua-AZ46447-FILTFILDFX-vi.html

And.. I just spotted this new Mr. Aqua light. It might be slightly longer but I'm not sure where the LEDs start from the edge.. don't know it's light intensity either. Looks nice though IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C5YJ54G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1374523413&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Back
Top Bottom