Brian's 2.11g Rimless Pico Cube (AquaTop)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen both those two, thanks for the links :), and have also looked at this one: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0062PTNCS/ref=aw_2nd_sims_7?pi=SL500_SS115

I really want a light I can completely automate with a timer, sans switch, but I like a moonlight lamp too... perhaps two different ligjt fixtures and a lighting controller like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AX8TFU0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1374528958&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

I could DIY a relay setup for that $$$ controller to controlultiple tanks if I go crazy

That's a tough one... you are in uncharted territory from my own experience. However, I did try the big brother of this Fluval light on another tank and I liked it... It might put your little pico into medium / high light range though where a lot of glut or co2 will be needed. Last week two of these lights sold for $40 shipped on ebay... Just have to catch them at the right time in the auction if you see it.

Fluval Daylight Aqualife Plant LED Nano Aquarium Lamp | eBay

Edit: although... the esthetics of the fixture itself my take away from the elegance of the rimless tank...LOL

Last edited:
Well I definately don't want to go high PAR light or the direction of needing CO2... I'm just a simple guy that wants a successful, beautiful, low maintenance tank... is that an oxymoron?

Naw not at all... you have a goal so stick with it... I just thought you were thinking of going a different direction because you were linking some expensive LED lights there! My confussion! LOL

Sorry for any confusion, my goal is essentially the same as yours, I'm just open to other options, and budget, for components.

The light that you have is nice looking and affordable, could we use it with a timer?

Yes I do use it with a timer. But if you want a moonlight, you'll need to look elsewhere. Maybe that mighty ray you linked to? I like that it has red LEDs in it too. Plants love a little red in the spectrum :)

LOL... took me a second there to figure out what you meant by RPC! Then it struck me, Rimless Pico Cube! D'oh!

Well... I took out the Marsilea and moved it to high tech conditions. I moved in more DHG to the RPC. Not much else going on right now...

Here's some pics... Looks better with DHG. I hope the DHG does well with Glut instead of co2. We'll see given that the light is not very strong.

ibhTyg3PXKC8Yg.jpg

iGl3KUQqj2dNt.jpg

Only when I initially set it up I did use flourish tabs for the crypts. Not much noticeable growth other than new leaves here and there. This is my slow growing low light tank after all.

No pics... But I am planning on tearing this down too. I want to rescape it and just put shrimp in it. Maybe sometime this weekend.

So.... I decided to do this last night. A little trial run. Start with the smallest and work my way up to the largest.

img_2660587_0_2a9e1773a5cc08a6cb70e5fa19c07e30.jpg

So.... I decided to do this last night. A little trial run. Start with the smallest and work my way up to the largest.

Pretty spartan, ha ha! What are your plans?

BTW, my 2G AquaTop is doing well but starting to get algae on the glass... scrape or solve biologically? Updating my 2G Pico thread as not to hijack yours :brows:

It's better than any magfloat scrubber I've used. It's super tiny and the scrubber part that's in the tank is super thin so it doesn't disturb the water that much when you scrub with it rapidly. Also the magnet is strong too. Trust me, this is a nice addition to your tools.

It's better than any magfloat scrubber I've used. It's super tiny and the scrubber part that's in the tank is super thin so it doesn't disturb the water that much when you scrub with it rapidly. Also the magnet is strong too. Trust me, this is a nice addition to your tools.

Ordered, thanks

Back
Top Bottom