Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Max. Are you thinking of the nitrogen ammonia content of Amazonia over Africana/Malaya? Or did you read somewhere that iron is lower as well? I just know that Africana doesn't leach ammonia like Amazonia because it's less fortified with nutrients. But I'm curious as to the fired clay aspect in relation to iron? The ingredients is what gives the AS its color.

Anyways... my previous pics were mostly from a GS2, then a GS4, and sometimes with my GF's Canon Xsi DSLR.

No, I was talking about iron. You're right about the ammonia though. Even if it has less iron or other nutrients, you should be fine for a while. It's easy to start dosing it if needed.
Nope, they're all different.
There was a chart somewhere that compared iron content in all 4 soils too but I can't find it anymore ):
I just remember Africana and Malaya having significantly less iron than Amazonia, with Malaya having the lowest iron content.
Amazonia and Amazonia II are the most nutrient rich but I think that means they also leach more ammonia.

I have Malaya in my tank and it's more of a light desaturated brown color.

aquasoil.jpg

Patty, you're making me blush! Lol. No please do post your pics, we're all here to learn, help each other out, and get inspired off one another's journeys.

Well ok. For learning purposes. Hehe...

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got my (late) xmas present in the mail today... it's also going to be for my photography course I'm taking next session. Anyways, it's the nx300. Don't know how to take pics yet outside of Auto. But took a couple test shots today on auto, thought they looked nice...LOL

Tank looks great, again :D

I'm also looking at cameras, I have a thread on scape about various models I'm interested in; I had not considered the NX300

Which lens did you get with yours, 18-55mm or 20-50mm?
2.5x or 3.x optical zoom?
Is there a super macro function?

I'm reading CNET reviews on it now...

Tank looks great, again :D

I'm also looking at cameras, I have a thread on scape about various models I'm interested in; I had not considered the NX300

Which lens did you get with yours, 18-55mm or 20-50mm?
2.5x or 3.x optical zoom?
Is there a super macro function?

I'm reading CNET reviews on it now...

Hey Mike, I got the black one with the 18-55mm OIS kit lens. The OIS stands for optical image stabilizer, which isn't present on the 20-50mm. I wanted the OIS option because I wanted to be able to take decent shots without a tripod. However, I've read in photo forums that the 20-50mm can produce sharper images with a tripod vs. the 18-55. But the 30mm f/2 pancake prime lens produces even sharper images.

There is a macro mode in the smart settings, which helps get the subject big, but TBH you need a macro lens or an inexpensive way is to buy the extension tubes (10mm + 16mm). They'd pair nicely with the 30mm f/2 pancake to get you great macro shots. Those are on my hit list.

Check out this guy's macro photography. He demos two ways.. inexpensive extension tubes and then with a spendy macro lens.
http://www.nxcamera.com

Also look at his YouTube video.

Great looking tank Brian! I would've never thought to use red plants with Ohko Stone; it looks killer!

Thank you.. I think the Africana and Ohko stones shine better with green plants, which have a better contrast. The red blends in a bit more. Less pop. Glad you like though.. I appreciate the change myself due to getting used to starring at dark substrate so long. I'll probably make my way back to dark substrate eventually.

Up-close shot of the AR 'mini' and HM. Still handheld w/out tripod so the pic could be sharper. I'll try some tripod shots and adjust the white balance and ISO later.

Ahh, GSA! Or "old leaf algae" as OS would say :)

i9UeGl0KlRwqn.JPG

Brian I love the quality of the camera's images. The depth of field looks pretty good too at that F stop. (6 to 10?) I bet you're in "techie" heaven. lol. Come take some pics of my tanks! One thing you can say about the AR mini is that it is stable enough to have long lasting leaves and the OL algae that goes with it. The HM is awesome. Good job! Brian (OS)

Thanks, OS! Yeah man, the camera is amazing! I know some of the pro-sumers are very protective of their mindset that it's either Nikon or Canon when it comes to photography. But I'm not trying to go pro or anything I have confidence that Sammy produces quality products... what's great, too, is that this gadget hooks up seamlessly wireless to my Galaxy S4 and Note 10.1. As for the F-stop... I don't even know. I still haven't ventured out of "auto" yet! LOL

As for the AR 'mini'... I totally agree. It's an amazing little plant. It's like night & day difference between it and its larger cousin. You are all to thank in giving us access to it from across the pond.

Just wait till you see some photos that you make playing with the aperture and shutter speeds in manual. The wonderful thing about digital is you don't have to wait to see the results. Plus you can delete and redo and practice for free without wasting expensive film. It's the greatest!!!!! Once you learn your camera you'll not use auto much. Wait till you soft focus a portrait shot the first time. Enjoy my man! OS.

Just wait till you see some photos that you make playing with the aperture and shutter speeds in manual. The wonderful thing about digital is you don't have to wait to see the results. Plus you can delete and redo and practice for free without wasting expensive film. It's the greatest!!!!! Once you learn your camera you'll not use auto much. Wait till you soft focus a portrait shot the first time. Enjoy my man! OS.

It sounds like you know your way around a DSLR. Do you still practice photography? What kind of camera are you using? Yeah I actually took a photography class in HS. We actually took pics in B&W on 35mm film... I even got to develop the film myself in a darkroom. It was really fun! But yes, gone are the days of wasting expensive film! I'm also going to try my hand at videotography as well. This little gadget can shoot 1080p @ 60fps. I'm thrilled to try that, too. Investing in a camera system with the prospect of taking creative pics and video has injected new excitement into aquascaping. It's gonna be fun! :dance:

For my serious shots I use a Nikon D5100. For the quick spur of the moment fish shots, I keep a Fuji Finepix 12mg point and shoot by the tanks. It has about as many manual modes as the D and much quicker to grab and use. My favorite palettes are wildflower macro shots and natural water flow scenes. For fun try slow shutter shots on fast moving fish and try and get the trailing streaks. Looks like they're jet blast propelled. OS.

Sorry my tank is becoming a picture-wxxxe. So I tried my first shot outside of 'auto' today... I fiddled with the manual settings and arrived at this...

F/11, ISO 1600, 1/13 @ 18mm focal length. Still have a lot to learn... but no post processing on this what so ever.

12370154903_0e532d39db_h.jpg

LOL, Brian, you are having a ball aren't you? Pic looks crisp! Your plant's colors are as good as it gets also. Awesome! OS.

OMG... can't put the camera down! Now I'm behind on my homework! Lol

Another NX300 pic... sorry, I'm just having too much fun with this thing!

Ventured out of Auto mode and busted out the tripod. Same subject, AR 'mini' is the focus point.

Tried Aperture Priority mode @ 18mm and brought the F-stop down to f/3.5. Camera chose the rest (1/100, ISO 1600). Corrected a bit in PS for crop & contrast. DOF is looking nicer. :)

iboto0gGhkVrdB.jpg

Edit:
Created an unedited video, too. Trying out the touchscreen AF.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Brian, when's your gig with National Geographic start? They might need a fish & plant photographer for the upper Amazon. Pics and video look great! Is that Fissedens moss on the DW? Brian(OS)

Brin I've got to things to say to you this tank looks great I love the color and the layout and the photos you have taken are also amazing keep at it I believe being a aquarist goes hand in hand with being a photographer good luck with your class.

Back
Top Bottom