Bribo's 20 gallon rimless reef/Eventual 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it makes you feel any better, in my current 105 I used rock I got for practically nothing from a friend. He had the rock sitting in his back yard for over a year. Through the winter and summer it went and it looked quite bleached when I got it, But what he failed to inform me of was that the reason the rock wasn't being used and found it's place in the back yard was that it was completely covered with bubble algae.
Apparently the spores of such algae can survive some extreme weather. As soon as I submerged the rock in water.....BOOM!
img_3145431_0_44139cb95ccd3d8a4f92a2efda1dffce.jpg

img_3145431_1_de071799eabc665737c61da2b5d57a1a.jpg

img_3145431_2_266f7c7d34cf6b1f01edec6922e8ad83.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, in my current 105 I used rock I got for practically nothing from a friend. He had the rock sitting in his back yard for over a year. Through the winter and summer it went and it looked quite bleached when I got it, But what he failed to inform me of was that the reason the rock wasn't being used and found it's place in the back yard was that it was completely covered with bubble algae.
Apparently the spores of such algae can survive some extreme weather. As soon as I submerged the rock in water.....BOOM!
img_3145505_0_44139cb95ccd3d8a4f92a2efda1dffce.jpg

img_3145505_1_de071799eabc665737c61da2b5d57a1a.jpg

img_3145505_2_266f7c7d34cf6b1f01edec6922e8ad83.jpg

Wow that is crazy it could survive like that. Yes that makes me a feel a bit better... Seems like those acros don't care much though :D

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Man that's insane! have you tried any fish that may eat it like tangs of foxface? I got a lot of my rock from a pile that I found at an evicted house while working there. It had moss and mud all in it. I actually did a muratic acid wash on it and it turned out pretty nice. Obviously its a little late for that, but your coral looks fantastic!

I have a yellow tang and a yellow eye kole in the tank, as well as a half dozen emerald crabs and no one bothers with it. The tangs do graze the rock, but I don't see any changes as a result. I think they pick at the algae in between the bubbles...lol.
It's fine really, as there's algae in the ocean, so i don't mind it much. I won't be forwarding this rock to the new tank though....this will go in the sumps behind. No bubble algae seems to win over the caulerpa in there ;)

I have a yellow tang and a yellow eye kole in the tank, as well as a half dozen emerald crabs and no one bothers with it. The tangs do graze the rock, but I don't see any changes as a result. I think they pick at the algae in between the bubbles...lol.
It's fine really, as there's algae in the ocean, so i don't mind it much. I won't be forwarding this rock to the new tank though....this will go in the sumps behind. No bubble algae seems to win over the caulerpa in there ;)

LOL. Sounds about right, that would probably be my luck as well. Caulerpa conquers all! :)

I have a blenny in my tank who is more interested in destroying clams then eating algae...

Yeah he'll be getting a new home when I upgrade

When are you gonna upgrade? We need to talk about the stand! Do you still want to build one similar to mine?

Yes I think the gf would beat me if I didn't lol. I'm free this weekend? Would you be around Saturday?

Ok cool I'll text you Saturday to let you know and we can maybe draw up a plan or something

I feel so left out because I have the biggest tanks here(out of us).... It's gonna be all I love the footprint in my 40b. So much room for coral. And I'm gonna be over here with Sniper like yeah the algae has overrun my 55..

I feel so left out because I have the biggest tanks here(out of us).... It's gonna be all I love the footprint in my 40b. So much room for coral. And I'm gonna be over here with Sniper like yeah the algae has overrun my 55..

Don't feel left out!!! Algae running wild in my tank too :eek:

Hey those 55's got that extra foot in length though! I have faith in you and Hank. Things will eventually balance out into a happy medium.

Back
Top Bottom