Bristlenose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
My old bristle nose pleco died two months ago. I have had this guy for about a month now he looks different then my old bristle nose pleco but the guy at my lfs told me when I bought him he was a bristle nose , is this true? Thanks for the help attached is photos

Attachments

• image-795158266.jpg
    image-795158266.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2324234802.jpg
    image-2324234802.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 75
Yes she's a common bristlenose. Does she have real wood to chew? They need that in their diet along with quality algae wafers. They love vegies too- semi-cooked, or defrosted frozen vegies (I buy mine bags if peas, broccoli and cauliflower) and raw vegies like cucumber.

Yes she's a common bristlenose. Does she have real wood to chew? They need that in their diet along with quality algae wafers. They love vegies too- semi-cooked, or defrosted frozen vegies (I buy mine bags if peas, broccoli and cauliflower) and raw vegies like cucumber.

Yes I have a nice piece of driftwood in there for her , btw is it a female or male ? I'm assuming female since you referred to her as she. And I have algae wafers just never thought of the veggies !!

Sure looks female you can tell by the bristles male have them and females usually don't and if they do they are much smaller.

Male BNP don't start growing their bristles until they are around 2". Until then they look like females. Also some females have been known to grow a single row of bristles right along their upper lip. So depending on the size of your BNP it could be a female or a young male.

Back
Top Bottom