bristleworm eating wrasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ_gibbo1985

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have a nano which has a number of bristleworm, I've just upgraded this tank and would like to get a wrasse that will predate on them, I personally do not mind the bw too much but my gf HATES them!!
I know there are a few wrasses around that will eat bw, my question is are there some better than others/is there a best at this??
Thanks in advance.

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
Hi I have a nano which has a number of bristleworm, I've just upgraded this tank and would like to get a wrasse that will predate on them, I personally do not mind the bw too much but my gf HATES them!!
I know there are a few wrasses around that will eat bw, my question is are there some better than others/is there a best at this??
Thanks in advance.

Your best off trapping them and the population will also cut back with less feeding. Usually wrasses if they do eat the bristles will only eat the real small ones. Ive never seen mine go for one more than half his size. You can buy a trap for about 10 bucks. I caught 27 in one night this way. Pretty easy really.

Tbh I don't feed a great deal anyway I'm pretty careful with this for water quality, I've read lots of mixed reviews on traps although I'll be getting one to nail down the big guys. I want a wrasse anyway for this new tank but if I can get one that's gonna help me get rid of my little problem too, all the better. :)

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
Tbh I don't feed a great deal anyway I'm pretty careful with this for water quality, I've read lots of mixed reviews on traps although I'll be getting one to nail down the big guys. I want a wrasse anyway for this new tank but if I can get one that's gonna help me get rid of my little problem too, all the better. :)

Try a 6-line, cool fish and bristleworm eater.

That's one of the ones I'd been looking at, they are a real cool looking fish, do you know if there are any others?

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
That's one of the ones I'd been looking at, they are a real cool looking fish, do you know if there are any others?

I don't know from experience, but I've been told the 8-line wrasse is better at eating bristles, than the 6. Not as pretty as the six, but I believe it has a slightly larger mouth, allowing it to eat slightly larger bristles.

Back
Top Bottom