Bronze cory fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianel64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have bronze cory fry in a breeding net and I'm in the process of setting up a growing on tank for either them or Platys. How difficult is it to rear cory fry, I've heard they have a high fatality rate. I seem to be loosing about 3 a day.

Hi, I have no idea, but I LOVE my bronze cory, so I was just interested in your post. How many eggs did you have hatch into fry?? I hope you get answers, personally I have a harder time finding corys than platys, so it would be nice to be able to breed them. GL to you!

theyre very hard to keep aliva ad many wot live. what are you feeding them by the way? i think you should be able to keep a couple alive but not that many

dont forget Maintaining water quality is key to raising cory fry so ensure regular water changes take place.

I only put about 30 eggs into the net, all hatched ok. I'm feeding them liquid fry food, crushed algae wafer & crushed mixed flake. Their mother lays eggs every 3 - 6 weeks. This is my first attempt at raising them.

I only put about 30 eggs into the net, all hatched ok. I'm feeding them liquid fry food, crushed algae wafer & crushed mixed flake. Their mother lays eggs every 3 - 6 weeks. This is my first attempt at raising them.

Thats cool!!! GL and keep us posted!

i breed pandas and black corys. Black corys are very similar to bronze (aeneus) corys, at least in size and shape. I prefer using live foods, like microworms, for cory fry, since they don't foul up the water as quickly. They also seem to do better in tanks with substrate in them, rather than bare bottom.

So keeping them in a separate tank to grow out would be ideal,rather than a net. Either way, keep it clean and keep them well fed, and you should have a very high survival rate.

jetajockey said:
i breed pandas and black corys. Black corys are very similar to bronze (aeneus) corys, at least in size and shape. I prefer using live foods, like microworms, for cory fry, since they don't foul up the water as quickly. They also seem to do better in tanks with substrate in them, rather than bare bottom.

So keeping them in a separate tank to grow out would be ideal,rather than a net. Either way, keep it clean and keep them well fed, and you should have a very high survival rate.
I ordered microworms online, they should arrive in a few days. Moved the fry into their new tank & what a difference that made, they are loving their new freedom. The microworms will be fun, I haven't used them before.

Put filter media in from my other tanks to hurry the cycling process. The cory fry are all over it, hoovering all over it, not sure what they're feeding on but they seem to love it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110428_111717.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110428_111717.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 163
Sorry about the poor quality of the pic, just an update on the corrys. Ive roughly counted about 25 fry. They are now 4 weeks old and eating all round them. I'm surprised at how quickly they're growing. I've raised Platys & swordtails before & they didn't grow as quick lol.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110523_084807.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110523_084807.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 153
At what size or age can I introduce the fry into a community tank, & how deep can the tank be? Their mum has layed another batch of eggs.

id say an inch long. nothing in my tank seems to bother my corys and i have a redtail shark

At what size or age can I introduce the fry into a community tank, & how deep can the tank be? Their mum has layed another batch of eggs.

Their tank can be as deep as it needs to be. I've kept cory fry in tanks 12" tall up to 24" tall, they can get to the surface if they need to.

I wouldn't add the fry to the main tank until you are sure nothing will eat them. It might sound cruel, but when you think they are ready, put a few in there at first just to see how the fish react. It'll give you an idea.

Back
Top Bottom