Brookster's new new new dual sat+ build - bml pg. 78

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hehe dam brook and yea what im doing right now is dosing the plantex pps stuff everyday and the other stuff err clear stuff every other day and my diatoms are gone now but I do get gda to clean off every 2 weeks or so but its honestly not bad but apart from that no algae whatsoever but of course I dont have co2 just pps pro fertz, mebids diy root tabs and metricide

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster be careful skipping ferts. If your plants start to develop deficiencies due to lack of ferts then algae will really take off

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hehe dam brook and yea what im doing right now is dosing the plantex pps stuff everyday and the other stuff err clear stuff every other day and my diatoms are gone now but I do get gda to clean off every 2 weeks or so but its honestly not bad but apart from that no algae whatsoever but of course I dont have co2 just pps pro fertz, mebids diy root tabs and metricide

How long has the tank been going? Heavily planted?
Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster be careful skipping ferts. If your plants start to develop deficiencies due to lack of ferts then algae will really take off

I won't skip it all together, just adjust it down for the time being, still going to slowly up phosphate. This morning the tank wasn't looking all that bad to me.. trimming all the crap growth made a huge difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For some plants if you can trim off the algae then great. Star repens can be trimmed aggressively IMO so that works for me. Of course, pinpointing the root cause and correcting it would be ideal.

The only thing that jumps out at me, having swapped this substrate around a couple times (not because I wanted to) even though I washed it, some of the o+ and miracle grow may have gotten mixed in and leached directly into the water?

If that is the case, some aggressive water changes should resolve that. It might help reset things similar to the EI approach.

If that is the case, some aggressive water changes should resolve that. It might help reset things similar to the EI approach.

You're probably right, maybe a 25% each day for a week? Or larger bi-daily?

Idk, I'm in the same boat. Perhaps Dr Nano or Sk3lly might have better input.

Its a tough one for sure. I think these algae issues can be incredibly hard to diagnose due to the amount of variables between tank setups.

Photoperiod?

Drop checker colour? And how far into your photoperiod is it before you get away from the blue colour?

Phosphate level?

Nitrate level?

Its a tough one for sure. I think these algae issues can be incredibly hard to diagnose due to the amount of variables between tank setups.

Photoperiod?

Drop checker colour? And how far into your photoperiod is it before you get away from the blue colour?

Phosphate level?

Nitrate level?

Photo period is split. 6:10 -9, this is when I dose ferts and glut, back on 4:30-10. Co2 comes on 1.5 hrs prior to second photo period. Drop checker is like green when I get home at 5. I would have to test, last time phosphate was around 2 and nitrate around 20ppm.

Photo period is split. 6:10 -9, this is when I dose ferts and glut, back on 4:30-10. Co2 comes on 1.5 hrs prior to second photo period. Drop checker is like green when I get home at 5. I would have to test, last time phosphate was around 2 and nitrate around 20ppm.

-The second split is pretty long, not far off a 6 hour period.

-Your first photo period has no pressurised co2 at all ( I know you dose glut)

These are two areas I'd begin by experimenting with

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Brookster's new new new dual sat+ build

Maybe try get nitrate closer to 10. I know it can be hard though. Phosphate good

Think I should get the gas running for the first photo period and split them 2.5 hrs and 5 for the second?

Think I should get the gas running for the first photo period and split them 2.5 hrs and 5 for the second?

Maybe try two periods of 4 hours? Get the gas an hour on before your first period. Least the plants will have a much larger carbon source to use. Can split period on the gas too, it's what I used to do.

I'm not saying it will work but there's room for experimenting there if you feel the way your currently going isn't producing the desired results

Yah, i like it.. timer can do multiple on/offs so won't hurt..

Yah, i like it.. timer can do multiple on/offs so won't hurt..

People might say I'm talking a load of rubbish but it's what I would do in your situation.

My tank is setup like this....

My daily ferts and excel go in at 7.30 am

Co2 kicks in at 9am but on a slow bubble rate

Lights come on at 12pm and go off at 3pm

Lights come on at 5.30, fade up to full power for 6pm. They then go off at 10pm

Co2 goes off at 7pm. Drop checker a nice green for the plants to use throughout second photoperiod

Results don't lie.. I'm going to switch it up a bit. Can't get any worse than its going now.. on the plus side my dhg hasn't died in the betta tank! Its actually growing hahaha hahaha

Results don't lie.. I'm going to switch it up a bit. Can't get any worse than its going now.. on the plus side my dhg hasn't died in the betta tank! Its actually growing hahaha hahaha

Evil evil stuff!!!

Huh. Not to hijack but my co2 comes on 15 minutes before lighting. My theory is that it takes plants a while to fully begin photosynthesis. Besides my H. polysperma crowns are still folded when the light comes on. So once they fully begin photosynthesis co2 is fully saturated.

Plus drop checker readings take a while to change. My drop checker stays yellow-green hours after the photoperiod, so just because the DC is green the co2 may not actually be at ~30ppm like it says.

But results don't lie. I'll change mine to come on 45 minutes earlier than the photoperiod to see if that improves anything.

Back
Top Bottom