Brown algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read a lot that brown algae is not bad for your tank unless it is in excess levels. I know it can spawn from having excessive light periods. It started in my 45 gallon tank and seems to have cleaned itself up but my 10 gallon it keeps spreading...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421062225.189404.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421062242.790529.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421062260.507638.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Algae really doesn't harm your tank at all, it's just unsightly. The diatoms you're seeing feed off of silicates and usually show their face when an aquarium is new before eating themselves to death as the aquarium ages.

How long are your lights on?

Because I work most of the day. (5:00am-6:00pm) they are on that whole time and I feed them right when I get home at 6. After they finish eating I turn it off.

A timer is your friend. I have my lights on for a couple of hours in the morning, so I can check my tanks. And then lights are on for 5 hours when I'm home. Mine are on about 7 hours total.

Okay I'll look into getting a timer thanks a bunch guys

Back
Top Bottom