Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have annoying brown algae growing on the front and sides of my tank. It is really hard to get off the glass and looks like powder when cleaning it off. Does anyone know what might be causing this, and how I may fix it? THere was bright green algae growing, now this. Thanks,

Robbber

Hi and welcome :D :D :D , is this a "young" SW tank? You may be experiencing a diatom bloom which is normal.

Are you using RO water?

New Tank?

If so it is temporary and should clear up. Snails will eat it as well.

Tank is about 10 months, 125G saltwater. Not using Reverse Osmosis, just filling it up with tap water.

Tap water usually has lotsa silicates and stuff in it that help promote that. Eventually you might even run into cyanobacterial blooms and really yuck stuff like that with tap water (maybe).

It does help to set up an RO/DI filter (the DI or deionization resin on the tail end of the filter assembly really helps) and use this water for all salt mix and water changes, and then you could also get extra snails, and algae blennies love to eat that stuff too.

I have the same problem, though my tank is not as old. Turbo and Abalone snails love the stuff. I have a black sail fin Blenny and he will eat it too, but not so much of the glass but off the LR. Once i get the cash i plan on getting a good RO unit to try and keep the problem at bay.

So did you have a lot of green algae, and now the brown stuff? :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom