brown algea problem :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
i been having brown algea in my 10 gallon tank for the past weeks but seems like its getting worst.its all over my decorations and the walls of the tank.its lookin so gross.is it safe to clean this with them scubbing sponges to clean the tanks? also i have this white fungis stuff ( not sure what the hell it is) thats growing on the cartridge of my hob filter and a bit on the filter itself and on top of the tank itself on the edges.can anyone tell me what it could be.it looks just like white fungis. i been havin ammonia issues and ph is been high too, can this be why all this is growin in the tank?:confused:

Any algae eaters I your tank?

i have 2 julli cory catfish (had 3 , 1 died last week :(
i just dont think 2 corys will help.and i cant add more cuz my water is still having ammonia issues and the ph is real high too.so dont know what to do.it just seems its gettin worst. and plus that white nasty fungis is really grossing me out too :banghead:

Run your lights less and I think it is due to your high water params. Start doing more water changes and yes you can just clean it with a sponge. Live plants should help too by removing nutrients in the water so the algae can't use it to grow. Maybe get a better filter if your ammonia doesn't improve in a while. What filter do you have now??

Sounds like diatoms. They are usually present in new tanks. They are caused by silicates in the water. They will eventually go away on their own once they use the silicates in the water. One thing that can help is getting some phosphate/silicate remover to put in your filter. With a 10 gallon tank you could also get a couple mystery snails or ramshorn snails. Nerite snails are good diatom eaters too. Your tank is too small for any pleco's so snails would be your best bet.

Rivercats said:
Sounds like diatoms. They are usually present in new tanks. They are caused by silicates in the water. They will eventually go away on their own once they use the silicates in the water. One thing that can help is getting some phosphate/silicate remover to put in your filter. With a 10 gallon tank you could also get a couple mystery snails or ramshorn snails. Nerite snails are good diatom eaters too. Your tank is too small for any pleco's so snails would be your best bet.

What about Otos?

I'd recommend Siamese algae eaters...they have sorted out my brown algae/diatoms in my 30 gallon in a couple of weeks. And they are awesome fish. Fun to watch.

Oto's do best in an older more mature tank and SAE's get way too big for a 10 gallon. Now if the tank has been up and running for a few months Oto's would work. Otherwise a couple snails, nerites if you don't want snails that reproduce, are you best bet for a tank that small.

Back
Top Bottom