Building a Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok guys, this project is a little ways off, but what I would like to do is build a sump for my 29 gallon.

I can't drill so I would need a hang on the back overflow (Not the best, I know) so which would be the best hang on the back overflow? My plan would be a 20 gallon sump, which I think I can put in my stand. If not I will do 10 gallons.

What I want to do is put more live rock into the sump (I got 50 pounds already in my tank) and more live sand in the sump (got 60 pounds in my tank already). Would that be a good bio-filter? Should I get ceramic rings or bio-balls? Also what else goes into the sump for filters? I would want to add my Hang on the Back Reef Octopus Skimmer to the bottom tank and heater. That way I don't have to look at it anymore. :p

In general I just want to know what would be my best options. The good news is I talked my wife into upgrading to a 125 gallon tank within a years time. :p We are saving now, as I want brand new. With just all the equipment and tank and stand I am looking at close to 2 grand. Which is cool with me. Brand new and sump and skimmer. :p

So the idea would be to transfer everything from this tank to the new tank including the rock and sand. So adding a sump right now to this tank with more live sand and rock would help me later on. I want as much live rock would fit into my sump. So When I upgrade later I will have almost all the live rock I need already.

Also just a quick question!! If I were to wash the sand in saltwater (Water I pulled out for a water change, or new) so I can get all the bad gases out before I put into the new sand, wouldn't be still live sand?

Sorry for the long post. In general I am looking for!

Which is the best Hang on the Back overflow? How big should my Sump be for my 29, and whats the best bio-filter to use (live rock and sand, or bio-balls?)? Would it even be beneficial to add a sump being it will take me a few months to save for it and I plan on upgrading within a year to year 1/2 time? I currently am running a Fluval 206 that I wash out with every water change.

Thanks!

This is what I'm building. It's a 40g sump. The 1st chamber will be my inlet with a filter sock, and skimmer. The 2nd will be my refugium (live rock/ and macro algae) and the 3rd will be the return. I'll probably have a couple bags of carbon in thin chamber. I wanted to do bio balls but have heard that they're nitrate factories. Hopefully this helps

image-3197556914.jpg

This is my overflow since my tank isn't drilled. Not too sure the brand, but I picked 2 up for $30.

image-272857309.jpg

Attachments

• image-3248872691.jpg
    image-3248872691.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 120
I have a Eshopps hob overflow, works great. Never looses siphon! They make them for your size tank also. Dr. Foster and Smith.

I got tired of trying to clean out filter socks. I have moved onto panty hose on my return lines, even to reduce salt creep. Working out great so far. Might help out your first chamber.

With any J tube style siphon overflow, you need to size the return pump to match the overflow box. If you use a pump that's too weak, you stand the chance of losing siphon over time. If it's too strong, obviously, the display will overflow.

Live rock has aerobic and anaerobic bacteria present. This bacteria completes the nitrogen cycle, by converting the nitrate to nitrogen gas and your tank expels that at the surface. Bio balls/ceramic rings don't house anaerobic bacteria, so what you end up with is nitrate.

If you intend to build a sump, where will you keep it? If you are upgrading to a 125 eventually, I would make the sump large enough to use it for the next build, and put it in the spot where you won't have to move it when the 125 comes. keeping a large amount of live rock in it, and the existing tank, will delete the need for an initial cycle. All you will get is a diatom bloom, virtually no nutrient spike, and life will be good.
What size sump were you thinking for the 125? A 40 breeder is a good size tank for this purpose. A 75 is also a good size. Ultimately, the biggest sump you can afford and fit in the allotted spot, is what I would suggest.

Will it be beneficial? Yes. Increasing the water volume alone, is a good enough reason to implement one.

In the sump I would use a filter sock, a skimmer, live rock, and a return area. SaltwaterNub's sump is a good example of a proven design.

A 1.5 year old sand bed will need to be rinsed quite a bit before transferring, or it will cause a spike. As far as being "live", that's just a matter of bacteria being present. I would probably rinse it thoroughly with tap water and start over. It will become live fast enough.

Thanks X for including my name in there. Starting the sump process this weekend. Hopefully I'll have good pics of the process. Kind of nervous using an overflow.... Not too familiar with them, but people say they're super easy to install and run.

If the attachment worked, this is how my overflow looks.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130115_191915.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130115_191915.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 122
This sump will be going under my 29 gallon tank, so It might be only a ten gallon sump. I want to use this 29 gallon tank for a reef tank when I upgrade, so all the equipment will still be needed for the smaller tank.

I want to upgrade so I can have a FOWLR tank big enough to house the current lineup I have and a Blue Hippo Tang and a Yellow Tang and about 3 more fish to for a total of 9 fish with the tangs being the biggest. I might be going for a 180 G as the price range is only about 700 more than the 125. Yes that's a lot, but I am starting to save now. :p

Back
Top Bottom