Bulb for planted 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last night my bulb when out so I'm going to replace it with a bulb from lowes. I have the standard fluorescent light fixture that comes with starter kits. What kind of bulb should I buy? I know the previous one is T8 and 15 watts, leaving me in the low light side. I would like to get it up to the high lows/low medium.

Thanks in advance!:)

Are T8's good?

I'm currently using t8 flouramax on my tank and it looks great and make my "lowlight plants" grow decently. I also use "leaf zone" and "co2 booster" by API

They usually can't get you into higher lighting unless you use quite a few. I'd change the fixture to t5 or LEDs if you want medium light.

I'm currently using t8 flouramax on my tank and it looks great and make my "lowlight plants" grow decently. I also use "leaf zone" and "co2 booster" by API

I'll see if they've got t5 fixtures for a reasonable price. Are there any cheap LEDs because all of the ones I've seen are around $100?

Also I have been dosing excel am comprehensive for the last two weeks or so and I see an improvement.

If you'd like LEDs the Finnex Ray 2 is $83 on amazon.com and it would put you in medium to high light, the Finnex Fugeray is $57.13 and would be low light. Both being the 18" long models.

If you'd like LEDs the Finnex Ray 2 is $83 on amazon.com and it would put you in medium to high light, the Finnex Fugeray is $57.13 and would be low light. Both being the 18" long models.

What about a t5? I saw one for $85. Is LED better?

What about a t5? I saw one for $85. Is LED better?

You won't have to replace bulbs like in a T5. If you go with T5 Normal output, you'll be okay, but even one T5 high output bulb on a 10g is too much light. You'll have to raise the fixture by hanging it over the tank. 10 gallons are actually pretty tricky to light... In my experience, two spiral CFL bulbs over a ten is the perfect amount of light, or the led fixtures I've mentioned. Are you looking to do low light or medium to high light?

You won't have to replace bulbs like in a T5. If you go with T5 Normal output, you'll be okay, but even one T5 high output bulb on a 10g is too much light. You'll have to raise the fixture by hanging it over the tank. 10 gallons are actually pretty tricky to light... In my experience, two spiral CFL bulbs over a ten is the perfect amount of light, or the led fixtures I've mentioned. Are you looking to do low light or medium to high light?

I want to get on the high end of low or low end of medium lighting. I found this led that I've need wanting for a while.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C7OTE0O/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1376146663&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

I also fond this marineland
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00325575S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1376146663&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Just remember if you go Med/High light you'll need CO2 or Excel and the correct amount of Ferts or you'll have an Algae Farm :(

I have 2 spiral CFLs over my 10g. I get lush growth. But not High light plants. My other 10g has an Archea LED very similar PAR readings to my CFLs.

Just remember if you go Med/High light you'll need CO2 or Excel and the correct amount of Ferts or you'll have an Algae Farm :(

I have 2 spiral CFLs over my 10g. I get lush growth. But not High light plants. My other 10g has an Archea LED very similar PAR readings to my CFLs.

Last night I picked up a fluorescent daylight bulb. I was wondering, why is my italian val turning yellow? Ive only had it since Tuesday. I'm haven't had a chance to pick up root tabs yet.

If you just got it, it's likely that it is acclimating to your tank. It should bounce back in the next few weeks with your new light, and dosing of Comprehensive.

If you just got it, it's likely that it is acclimating to your tank. It should bounce back in the next few weeks with your new light, and dosing of Comprehensive.

Okay. Thanks again everybody! :)

Excel will often melt vals... This could be what you're seeing. It melted all of mine then they started to grow back a weird red color... Could have been because it was new growth, I ended up yanking it out though.

Bill's right, the Excel could cause problems with it, because Vals generally don't do well with liquid carbon. However, I used liquid carbon in a tank with Jungle Vals, and they grew like mad! It would be best to monitor your situation and see where it takes you.

Excel will often melt vals... This could be what you're seeing. It melted all of mine then they started to grow back a weird red color... Could have been because it was new growth, I ended up yanking it out though.

So should I stop using excel? I have baby java ferns that have taken off since I started using it.

Back
Top Bottom