Bully Blue Acei

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello I have a blue acei who is very keen on beating up a calico mbuna. I have no clue why and none of the other fish in the tank seem to be affected. Here is the stock list.
Yellow lab x1
Blue acei x1
Jacobfreibergi x2
Ruby Crystal Peacock x1
Calico mbuna x1
Australian Rainbowfish x2
Rope fish x1
Hi fin spotted Pleco x1

I had a yellow tail acei who was being a bully, a LFS guy suggested adding more acei since they are one of the few schooling cichlids. So I added 3 small ones and that took care of his aggression, all he did was hang with the other small acei after that.

I have 4 acei and they always run around together and not bothers them and they dont bother anyone else

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Will yellow labs school? I just think the tank would look amazing with the blue acei and yellow labs swimming around.

Labs dont really school, but I do agree a tank of labs and acei would be cool. You can mix yellow tail and white tail, and look at all the different species of labs, I have a labidochromis chisumulae (white/light blue and black stripes). Another species that go well with those two would be a nice rusty and maybe some elongatus of various kinds. Really nice active mbuna tank without the super aggressive mbuna. Don't forget some syndo cats!

I plan on getting a Feather fin Squeaker Syno and a Striped Raphael Catfish. I have a very nice hollow clay log in the tank that would be a perfect home for catfish. My Pleco and Ropefish share it now.

Oh, will rusty's and elongatus get along with peacocks.

Rusty would probably be fine, just research the species of elongatus you want to make sure they aren't super aggressive. Most elongatus I've ever had have been really mellow. Plus they stay on the smaller side.

I got another acei and changed the tank around but the new acei is constantly being attacked by the older acei.

Now that I think about it this isn't the first acei my bully has hated I had another one when I got my bully who ended up having his faced ripped open. I think that this acei hates his own kind. I am considering selling him what do you think?

Well 2 doesn't really make a school.. And just 2 of one species generally isn't good with African cichlids... I'd put 4 total together of the acei to spread out that aggressive one. Or take him back and trade him for a different one, he may just have a bad attitude about life

Now that I think about it this isn't the first acei my bully has hated I had another one when I got my bully who ended up having his faced ripped open. I think that this acei hates his own kind. I am considering selling him what do you think?

Yea if that's the case id get rid of him. You have to make a lot of decisions like this as your cichlids get older, I had to trade in my favorite mbuna a trewevasae because he sexually matured and over night my peacocks lost 50% color. Once he was gone everyone colored back up

I have made a lot of decisions like this because fish have been mean. I have to make a choice sell one fish or let others die.

Id replace him with another peacock since that's what you have more of. It takes a chill mbuna to not aggravate peacocks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long have u had this rope fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a calico cichlid & he seems to be the target of a lot of bullying as well. He is actually in a hospice tank now due to havin his fins bit so much. Have taken him out of the tank & the other fish are fine. I don't know has anyone else found maybe they are less agressive?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have sold both of the acei and replaced them with a synopsis catfish and another type of cichlid. Can't remember the name of the cichlid but the guy I bought it from has a tank in the store dedicated to peacocks and fish that get along with peacocks which the cichlid I bought came from.

Back
Top Bottom