Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice everything looks like it's glowing.

29g fresh with Betta, Kuhli's, Neons, Denison Barbs, ADF, Mystery and Nerite Snails.

Some plants: Anubias, Java Fern, mosses and other misc.

8g Biorb with Betta and plants.

10g Mystery Snail Nursery

5g Plant grow tank with Pink Ramshorn Snails

Very nice everything looks like it's glowing.

29g fresh with Betta, Kuhli's, Neons, Denison Barbs, ADF, Mystery and Nerite Snails.

Some plants: Anubias, Java Fern, mosses and other misc.

8g Biorb with Betta and plants.

10g Mystery Snail Nursery

5g Plant grow tank with Pink Ramshorn Snails

Thanks ? although I just did a rescape. Changed the orientation of the wood, for the better I think. Propagated the pogostemon helferi. Culled tons of sword leaves and snipped the tops of the alternanthera cardinalis as the leaves where blotchy and algae ridden. Not sure why. I read some alternanthera don't last long underwater but I don't know if that's true or if cardinalis is one of them.

What do you think?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469799699.314542.jpg

The cardinalis is behind the wood and should come through soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

AR is typically prone to algae because of its slow growth pattern. When I had some in high light, it became an algaefied mess. AR "mini" did better for me in terms of keeping algae off of it.

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

AR is typically prone to algae because of its slow growth pattern. When I had some in high light, it became an algaefied mess. AR "mini" did better for me in terms of keeping algae off of it.

Thanks. At least I know I'm not alone. I wonder how it's grown without algae. I'm sure it is possible? It's quite a popular plant.

Edit: having said that. The AR and the Anubias are the only plants to show any algae at the moment. The Anubias is getting progressively better now I am offering more co2 and nutrients.

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Thanks. At least I know I'm not alone. I wonder how it's grown without algae. I'm sure it is possible? It's quite a popular plant.

Edit: having said that. The AR and the Anubias are the only plants to show any algae at the moment. The Anubias is getting progressively better now I am offering more co2 and nutrients.

I would say a ton of CO2 is needed to keep the algae away. If you could shade that Anubias, that would reduce the algae for that plant.

Nice Downoi forest. I could only get that plant going once, but after a trim, it never came back.

I would say a ton of CO2 is needed to keep the algae away. If you could shade that Anubias, that would reduce the algae for that plant.

Nice Downoi forest. I could only get that plant going once, but after a trim, it never came back.

Thanks. No way of shading the plant at present but like i say the new leaves have improved. I may remove that AR if it does the same this time. There's less plant mass now so as a result the will be more co2 availability.

Yeah it looks really well from back there but there is some yellowing on the right hand side which appeared after trimming but I think it's because the dosing was off and the co2 wasn't adequate. I'm going to fill in with some fresh plantlet's to hide any yellowing until it falls of and can be removed. It would be too difficult to remove them individually without causing more damage to the healthy plant.

Sounds like your luck with swords is improving.

The amount of swords I have killed in the past is staggering. If somebody told me I would have green swords reaching the surface of the tank one day I'd have laughed. Co2 has been the saviour here for me but I have seen them in no co2 setups.

I've stopped dosing micros to the column. Figured there should be enough in the substrate? Anyway I'm going to see if there is any noticeable difference after a while. Put a lot of clay in the bottom so should be quite a bit of iron.

Let's see how it goes.

Ok everybody it's blow my own trumpet time.

**disclaimer: I know my tank is not perfect**

I came home today after a water change and glass scrub last night (GSA). This morning I upped nitrate and phosphate yet again. No micros. 6ml easy carbo

The pogostemon helferi yellowing has all but disappeared. Back to green mostly. Carpet looks great. I'm not attributing the recovery to anything in particular. Just a combination of everything. I trimmed last week so naturally there is more carbon available.

The swords are looking great and are actually becoming a bit too proud for my liking. Might have to cull some.

The nymphoides sp. Taiwan is striking in colour, also getting a bit boisterous.

The Anubias is throwing up leaf after leaf and there's about 4 flowers in total. Still GSA on the older leaves.

The crypts look great and the lagenandra is finally threatening to grow in to something great.

The alternanthera cardinalis is small at the moment but a deep red. Deeper than I have ever seen it.

Water is crystal clear despite removing the purigen.

I haven't lost a fish for....well I can't remember. Amano's are breeding and are big and healthy looking.

New algae growth is minimal. Nothing new on plants at all. Bit of GSA on glass still that I am working on.

Overall I'm happy, really happy with my tank at the moment. It's probably took me longer than it should have to finally feel this way but I'm glad it has because I have learned so much from my mistakes. Even though the scape is not the most inspiring, it's the overall health of the tank that makes me feel good. Healthy plants can do so much for the tank.

Until the next disaster.....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470163325.285696.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470163346.449635.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470163367.902820.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470163404.904840.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470163429.929537.jpg

Thanks for the continued interest in my build and all your help along the way ?

Cal.

Caliban just wanted to say you have a beautiful looking tank ? your plant's are so healthy looking! makes me jealous and mine look sad lol

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Caliban just wanted to say you have a beautiful looking tank ? your plant's are so healthy looking! makes me jealous and mine look sad lol

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Thank you Shellyx. Too kind. I'm sure your tanks are great. I know you put a lot of time in to ensure your critters are well cared for.

Looking good and I love the shared posts :)

Dela as always cheers bud. I'm watching your thread but don't feel as though I have had much to contribute lately. Will catch up again soon.

Last edited:
A picture of a ph meter and your lovely Betta are the last two posts I can see in that thread. Updated on the 17/7/2016 is that right?

If not something very weird is going on.

Dela as always cheers bud. I'm watching your thread but don't feel as though I have had much to contribute lately. Will catch up again soon.

I'm really just looking at other tanks now. My new, really expensive plants sit behind the centrepiece ornaments so I just imagine them growing well...

Back
Top Bottom