Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A picture of a ph meter and your lovely Betta are the last two posts I can see in that thread. Updated on the 17/7/2016 is that right?

If not something very weird is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There were several after that.
This is my last pic on 8/1.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470228021.159298.jpg

Ok everybody it's blow my own trumpet time.

**disclaimer: I know my tank is not perfect**

I came home today after a water change and glass scrub last night (GSA). This morning I upped nitrate and phosphate yet again. No micros. 6ml easy carbo

The pogostemon helferi yellowing has all but disappeared. Back to green mostly. Carpet looks great. I'm not attributing the recovery to anything in particular. Just a combination of everything. I trimmed last week so naturally there is more carbon available.

The swords are looking great and are actually becoming a bit too proud for my liking. Might have to cull some.

The nymphoides sp. Taiwan is striking in colour, also getting a bit boisterous.

The Anubias is throwing up leaf after leaf and there's about 4 flowers in total. Still GSA on the older leaves.

The crypts look great and the lagenandra is finally threatening to grow in to something great.

The alternanthera cardinalis is small at the moment but a deep red. Deeper than I have ever seen it.

Water is crystal clear despite removing the purigen.

I haven't lost a fish for....well I can't remember. Amano's are breeding and are big and healthy looking.

New algae growth is minimal. Nothing new on plants at all. Bit of GSA on glass still that I am working on.

Overall I'm happy, really happy with my tank at the moment. It's probably took me longer than it should have to finally feel this way but I'm glad it has because I have learned so much from my mistakes. Even though the scape is not the most inspiring, it's the overall health of the tank that makes me feel good. Healthy plants can do so much for the tank.

Until the next disaster.....

View attachment 288377

View attachment 288378

View attachment 288379

View attachment 288380

View attachment 288381

Thanks for the continued interest in my build and all your help along the way ?

Cal.

It's absolutely gorgeous and definitely something for you to be proud of. :) It's a piece of living art.

Not that the meter has been calibrated recently but I think it's reading rightish based on previous trends and the fact I'm probably now at about 3-4bps with less plant mass. I'll calibrate it at some point just to be sure but assuming the meter is close I'm hoping this reading Debunks the whole ph affecting fish issue.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470348840.948248.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470348854.511726.jpg

A picture of my sword which now has 3 leaves tapping in to atmospheric co2.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470348910.252041.jpg

I have never spotted a negative impact on my fish when the ph moves. But it really shows up in my snail shells if the water is lacking the minerals.

I have never spotted a negative impact on my fish when the ph moves. But it really shows up in my snail shells if the water is lacking the minerals.

Oh yeah snails don't stand a chance at that ph level. I have pest snails with deteriorating shells :(

Looking nice! I like the pearling on the sword leaves.

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Looking nice! I like the pearling on the sword leaves.

Thanks. Not sure what to do with the swords. There's only so many leaves you can cull before you end up with a huge root ball and fewer leaves. I think you can uproot and split the 'crown' but the thought of doing this. Those roots are going to run deep.

Just going back in time. Here is a picture of the same plant when first purchased with emersed growth.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470559142.648656.jpg

You can also see how some of the other plants have filled in.

You know when they grow plants emersed like that it's no wonder they melt and mostly just die went you replace the 400ppm of co2 with about 6ppm. I know that if I wasn't at least providing it with about 30ppm it would have just died. I wonder how many times this happens to new starters. I mean I should be called the sword slayer. I think they are a little more needy than people think. Either that or i am better at destroying them than most. ?

Last edited:
My nitrates were running a bit high even with all my vacuuming. So I pulled out one of the pots to take a peek and instead of pretty white roots it was all black and nasty. So I pulled out the ones were needed and put them in the substrate. I still have a few in pots that were doing ok but I will take them out as well next time I do some maintenance. Probably next weekend.

My nitrates were running a bit high even with all my vacuuming. So I pulled out one of the pots to take a peek and instead of pretty white roots it was all black and nasty. So I pulled out the ones were needed and put them in the substrate. I still have a few in pots that were doing ok but I will take them out as well next time I do some maintenance. Probably next weekend.

That's right sorry I forgot you did mention this to me. What is your substrate again?

My substrate is all 1/4 inch glass jelly beans. I have root tabs below the plants.

Thought I would add a picture of the leaf differences on the Anubias now I have been triple dosing phosphate, double dosing nitrate and providing ample carbon compared to before.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470679341.675322.jpg

My thoughts are that phosphate and nitrate are much lower than this in African marshes, rivers and streams but then I'll bet the Anubias in these places don't look anywhere near as healthy as the ones in the picture.

Whether that's a good thing or not in terms of overall tank health I can't say. There have been no reports of high phosphate levels having a negative affect on fish from what I can gather and nitrate...well if that was as bad as we are led to believe then my fish would be in a bit of a pickle.

Alas. Monday is water change day. 50% should do it ?

Also a pic during water change. Quite liked how the plants over hanged creating a safe hideout.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470683787.291397.jpg

And one from afar.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470683804.977383.jpg

Think you are going to need a bigger tank soon! Do you still have the comfy chair in front?

Haha I know. Think I will have to downsize the tank because I keep upping the co2 to match growth and my sodastream isn't going to cut the mustard soon.

Oh yes it a decent view all round. You know it's bad when you come home and bypass the missus and the puppy to check on the tank. Soon as all checks pass then I can converse.

Anyone seen these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MHR8YIE?fp=1&pc_redir=T1

They've probs been out in US for ages but new here I think. I'm tempted.

How about an aquarium bar/table?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470753892.197014.jpg
Breakfast in the morning. Beers with your mates in the evening. And hair pulling later trying to get the plants to grow.

Back
Top Bottom