Cam's 10 gallon journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tank looks good, what is your current plant stock?

3 Hygro. Sperma(1 floating other two planted on left), green combomba(fine needle light leaves in the back), some type of rotala next to that, and narrow leaf Ludwigwa. Also some Xmas moss floating around, on the bottom, and ties to the rock.

After changing the filter and gravel I think I killed of all of my beneficial bacteria:( the ammonia keeps reading about 2-3 ppm. So I add ammonia lock that converts ammonia into ammonium. I do not over feed I feed very little. I think the filter media isn't helping:/.

I think removing the two pregnant platies from the breeding trap would be best. The water is already stressing them out enough. Although I won't be able to save the babies.

How long has the tank been running? It might just b going through a mini cycle. Just do a water change and keep testing! :)

I added in another tsp of ammonia lock like I've been doing each day for 3 days with a 25% water change is that good enough?

I added in another tsp of ammonia lock like I've been doing each day for 3 days with a 25% water change is that good enough?

Sounds plenty !! I'd recommend using prime over ammo lock. Prime can also get rid of nitrites !

Hmm do you use fertilizer or co2 in your 10 gallon

Nope just root tabs. It's a very low tech set up. I plan on eventually added excel to improve growth, but just haven't got to it yet.

Tanks cycled, plants have rooted and turned red, built a stand, fish are happy, water is great! 3 fish still pregnant. Here's a pic( I'm not a carpenter for sure) What's next?

Pre-filter, diy co2, order bell diffuser and API water test kit, staining stand, draping table cloth for stand,more plants , rocks, driftwood, snails, modification to filter outtake, and fish removal/ shrimp addition. Anything else?

Attachments

• image-4199769001.jpg
    image-4199769001.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 91
While the diffuser is on the way I made a DIY chopstick diffuser which is surprising working very well already!

Attachments

• image-2974669693.jpg
    image-2974669693.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2157880646.jpg
    image-2157880646.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 72
I've never tried co2 and was looking into DIY for my 10 gallon planted, what did you do for yours?

I spent a while trying to figure out what people said was the best recipe and I found one I liked : 2 liter soda bottle, 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1tsp of baking soda and warm water. I can give you the instructions I used if you want.

I also spent time researching DIY diffusers and while I wait for my real diffuser to come I am using a piece of wooden chopstick in airline tubing. The chopstick makes finer bubbles than an air stone so I thought it was best.

Here is the website I used-
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/diy-co2-recipe-duration-vs-intensity.html?m=1

They give good step by step instructions. For the chopstick I shoved one up some tubing marked it where about a mm was sticking out of the tubing still and cut it, then shoved the piece as far as possible.

Looks great! You might not like your diffuser you bought for DIY, they are meant for pressurized, I know I didn't like mine, so I drilled a hole in my intake and fed the line in it, the impeller beats the CO2 bubbles into a fine mist, and works rather well. Just a tip in case you don't like the diffuser! (y)

My tank is growing several types of algae and the plants aren't as green as I'd like. I'm moving most of my fish into a new 20 gallon this week so there will be less waste so helpfully that'll help. Also my fertilizer is coming soon in the mail!

Back
Top Bottom