Can anyone identify this cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very helpful, thanks guys! What I read there describes it completely. I was wondering what kind of fish that was. All I could do was describe it's appearance. I didn't know it was still in it's youth, I thought it may have been a dwarf. Thanks again

Trav1117 said:
Very helpful, thanks guys! What I read there describes it completely. I was wondering what kind of fish that was. All I could do was describe it's appearance. I didn't know it was still in it's youth, I thought it may have been a dwarf. Thanks again

You are bending a lot of the rules that we say not to do just so you know. African rift lake fish shouldn't be kept with sa Cichlids or anything other then the lake they cam from. When they get older you may find yourself with a tank in a world of hurt.

As I read that link I was thinking that actually. I was at the pet store and asked the clerk if it would be alright to put it in with other cichlids. Luckily though, I'm working on getting a bigger tank, I'll be able to segregate them hopefully

Tropheus duboisi for sure.should be fine as a single but I wouldnt add any more of them unless you plan to add another 14 as they are murderous to conspecifics unless in a large group.Ive seen it a group of 5 down to 1 in days.
They are pretty tough fish (like a little bull).
Make sure you have plenty of cover in your tank if your going to mix lakes.You can get away with mixing lakes but you must break up the line if sight so fish can avoid each other if they desire.
Just keep a close eye out for any bullying and if it occurs deal with it promptly.

Didn't realise the size of your tank.Your convicts will probably crucify your other fish in time especially if the breed.The rank is just too small for the others to hide in.

Trav1117 said:
As I read that link I was thinking that actually. I was at the pet store and asked the clerk if it would be alright to put it in with other cichlids. Luckily though, I'm working on getting a bigger tank, I'll be able to segregate them hopefully

You may want to look into getting two 55 gallons

I'm looking into a bigger tank actually. So when I do get a bigger one, I'll be able to segregate the fish accordingly. Thanks for the input, I'll keep an eye on them knowing it can develop into something bad! As of right now, they chase each other around (which I understand is normal, right?) There are places to hide, this particular one hides in the big cave or in a crevice on the side of it behind the plant

Trav1117 said:
I'm looking into a bigger tank actually. So when I do get a bigger one, I'll be able to segregate the fish accordingly. Thanks for the input, I'll keep an eye on them knowing it can develop into something bad! As of right now, they chase each other around (which I understand is normal, right?) There are places to hide, this particular one hides in the big cave or in a crevice on the side of it behind the plant

Sometimes chasing is part of breeding, sometimes its for fun and sometimes it aggression. You'll have to learn the difference

I understand, right now it all looks the same. However I did get witness them showing dominance. It interesting to watch actually

Right, that's something I didn't really consider. I was kind of naive at selecting what fish to put together

This is kind of a dumb question... I wouldn't mind making my next tank look more organic. Would it be fine to put sand in a fresh water tank rather than the gravel?

Right on! That's good to hear :) I've thought about it before but didn't think it'd be ok until I saw pictures of tanks with sand. I'm thinking it'd look really good.

Is there any particular kind of sand you'd recommend?

Trav1117 said:
Right on! That's good to hear :) I've thought about it before but didn't think it'd be ok until I saw pictures of tanks with sand. I'm thinking it'd look really good.

Is there any particular kind of sand you'd recommend?

I used quickrete play sand from home depot a 50 pound bag is only 2.50

Back
Top Bottom