Can cichlids eat food that's still frozen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

differenter2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I made my own cichlid food (I'm still feeding them their regular cichlid pellets) but I just wanted to make them a treat. It consists of peas, zucchini, a bit of celery, a bit of blood worms and brine shrimp, and garlic. I blended it up and put it in ice cube trays to freeze it so I can use it another day but I tried feeding them a bit before I freeze and it's SUPER messy! They can hardly eat it because I blended it up too much. So I was wondering if I just dropped a part of a frozen cube in the tank if it would harm them in anyway. Thanks!

I'm going to say it depends. What cichlids do you have? My large hybrid (jag/texas) chews the cubes frozen but he is the only one I would feed that way. All other cichlids I have had got it thawed.

I'm going to say it depends. What cichlids do you have? My large hybrid (jag/texas) chews the cubes frozen but he is the only one I would feed that way. All other cichlids I have had got it thawed.

I have a mix (they're all juvies right now) I have 5 peacock cichlids, 1 jewel, 1 auratus and one other that I forget the name. it's a mbuna with light blue colouring and black vertical stripes and a brown and black cichlid that I'm not sure what kind (I'm thinking it maybe a female peacock of some kind). And yes I know I have a bad mix of cichlids but mine seem to be getting along.

No I would not feed those frozen. My hybrid is pushing a foot long and will chew the cube for a bit spit it out for a second then suck it all back in. I would be worried about digestive problems with the Africans.

Defrost, just takes a few minutes.

Bad Cichlid stocking mix only "works" for awhile when they are young - they are youngsters. When they start to mature death happens.

No I would not feed those frozen. My hybrid is pushing a foot long and will chew the cube for a bit spit it out for a second then suck it all back in. I would be worried about digestive problems with the Africans.

Oh okay just making sure. Is there any other way I could feed it to them? It's almost purified and clouds my tank. I guess next time I won't blend it as much.

Defrost, just takes a few minutes.

Bad Cichlid stocking mix only "works" for awhile when they are young - they are youngsters. When they start to mature death happens.

Which cichlids would I have to get rid of to make it work? My cichlids are about 3 inches and my smallest are 2 inches, how much longer do I have until they mature?

That advice would be better to have some one more experienced in Cichlids help you. I just constantly read about the mayhem of poor combinations. I was making a general statement from your comment. It would be smart to find out before they get too big though. Also there are some issues to pay attention to so that they don't hybridize/cross breed as well.

Even my Angelfish kill / try to kill each other - Murderous Cichlids. lol. And they all got along fine when they were little.

That advice would be better to have some one more experienced in Cichlids help you. I just constantly read about the mayhem of poor combinations. I was making a general statement from your comment. It would be smart to find out before they get too big though. Also there are some issues to pay attention to so that they don't hybridize/cross breed as well.

Even my Angelfish kill / try to kill each other - Murderous Cichlids. lol. And they all got along fine when they were little.

They can cross breed? Like mbuna and peacocks? Weird. I'm sticking with just getting peacocks for now on and they're in a 75 gallon tank so I'm hoping once I get more peacock the mbuna don't bother them. Would they breed with other fish if they've already paired up? I have a pair of albino strawberry peacocks and a pair of these orange and black speckled peacocks idk... If I got more peacocks and no more mbuna would the mbuna be less likely to bother the peacocks?

Not meaning mbuna and Peacocks but like the Strawberry Albino or the Orange black Speckled one crossing. I'm out of my know zone. Just check/research on which ones will work together before you get them so there is relative harmony.

Hopefully someone who keeps all these guys will chime in. (not me :) )

Not meaning mbuna and Peacocks but like the Strawberry Albino or the Orange black Speckled one crossing. I'm out of my know zone. Just check/research on which ones will work together before you get them so there is relative harmony.

Hopefully someone who keeps all these guys will chime in. (not me :) )

Oh I see! Sorry I had a blond moment! If they cross bred would the babies be defective? Or would they just be ugly and not worth anything. I don't really care about making a profit off my fish but I don't want to make any messed up cichlids that won't live long.

They should be fine physically. There is a solid movement to keep the lines of many Cichlids pure and not hybridize.

Ohhh okay I see. None of my females are ready to breed yet but what if I put a divider to breed them? (I don't have an extra tank)

I have a mix (they're all juvies right now) I have 5 peacock cichlids, 1 jewel, 1 auratus and one other that I forget the name. it's a mbuna with light blue colouring and black vertical stripes and a brown and black cichlid that I'm not sure what kind (I'm thinking it maybe a female peacock of some kind). And yes I know I have a bad mix of cichlids but mine seem to be getting along.

Not sure if you've already found this info or not but if you want Peacocks you have to remove the auratus soon. The blue with black is probably a kenyi and needs to go too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom