Can I put this on top of my Acrylic Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, So I'm getting ready to buy my light fixture for my soon-to-be planted 55 tank. BUT I've run into a problem. Because it is acrylic, a lot of mounting brackets won't work, since Most have to be clamped to the inside and outside of the aquarium to lock it into place.

I was looking at this fixture:

Amazon.com: Glo T5 High Output Lighting System, Double, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies

But then I saw that it has to be attached to the inside and outside. :ermm:

So I was looking at this one instead:

Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures

I thought this might work, But then again, my acrylic aquarium has somewhat rounded edges.

So I guess the real question is this: Will the second one work, or will I have to remove the mounting brackets and just sit it on top of the acrylic? Or will it crack the acrylic brace because it would get too hot? I do not want a broken brace on my tank!

If anyone has an answer or suggestions for another fixture, please let me know!!!! Thanks so much!

Yup i have the second one, the brackets just hold on to the outside, kinda dangerous when your trying to move stuff, but it's fine, their adjustable so you can basically put this on any size tank, and for the top one it is also fine as long as your acrylic tank is correct size and the glass isn't outrageously thick.

There's really no problem with either. Only thing you should be worried about is if your really anal about scratches, you may get more with the top one.

The coralife fixtures would work too, but they may cost a little more. They're great though, that's what I have and the legs don't clamp and they're really sturdy

Edit: oh, and I've also set it just on top of my tank before too, and if it didn't melt my plastic center brace I would think acrylic would be fine

The aquarion led fixture fits on the top only with a shank that curves down the outta edge...it is allso fully adjustable...

Back
Top Bottom