Can I use salt water from river for live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fltekdiver

Aquarium Advice Regular
I live 5 minutes from river, and bought a tank yesterday, came with 3 year old live rock, I don't have it up and running yet, the seller put the live rock in buckets of SW for me

Can I run down to the river, which is salt water to keep them going n fresh water every day till I get my RO-DI system up and running and tank?

No i wouldnt do that, u could be letting those rocks leech in bad things from that water that could make ur tank crash

I live 5 minutes from river, and bought a tank yesterday, came with 3 year old live rock, I don't have it up and running yet, the seller put the live rock in buckets of SW for me

Can I run down to the river, which is salt water to keep them going n fresh water every day till I get my RO-DI system up and running and tank?

I guess but it would depend on the salinity of the river which my guess is brakish and at .015which is not marine and would not work and you dont know what kind of pollutants are in the water. Where is this river?

Ok, thanks, I appreciate it, I wasn't sure if salt water from river, ocean was the same

I'll go buy some today to keep them going for a. Few days till I can fill the tank off the RO/DI this weekend and mix my own salt water

I don't want to loose the live rock, it's Been established for 3 years all ready, I have about 40 lbs of it

Just ordered 50 lbs from bulk reef supply also today, to seed with the live rock

what you do is put a heater and a little power head in that bucket of live rock.

post a pic of the live rock.

don't take that nasty water from the river. unless you see corals growing there (y)

ok, Heres apic, I have towels to keep the tops wet, Theirs a crab sitting on the top of the towel, lol

Attachments

• 2013-02-26 14.09.09.jpg
    2013-02-26 14.09.09.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom