Can someone help me with starting a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank took 6 weeks total. I thought it was cycled as my ammonia was 0 etc when I tested it but it wasn't quite done.

It's difficult to understand why and how the cycle can hurt the fish when you first get into saltwater fish. On your first tank I think a lot of us were excited and somewhat impatient. That's normal. The disappointment of losing a fish and not understanding why is discouraging. I've known people who went and bought a bunch of cool fish after their tank cycled just to have them die because they either added to many to fast and their biological system didn't have time to adjust which causes issues, or they didn't quarantine them and they ended up dying. Here is a link that may help you understand the cycling process a little better:

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/CycleAquarium.php

In my opinion, I would order some live rock to cycle with. It's good for the tank and it will be your primary source of good bacteria.

http://www.fishlore.com/live_rock.htm

Alright he's back at my friends now how do I know when the ammonia spike starts cause my local store doesn't sell saltwater stuff at all

Go ahead and throw a piece of raw shrimp in there for the bacteria to feed on. It already started when you added the fish. You need to get a testing kit. I would get one for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, Ph, Phosphates to start with. You can order them online. API is not the best kit but it would be fine for cycling. I have two testing kits but got them on sale. If you want to get a better testing kit you can go for the salifert or red sea (I've not used red sea but a few on my local forum do). Your cycle will not be finished until your ammonia and nitrites read 0 and you have nitrates present. that will be a little bit so you have some time.

www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4452&cmpid=03csepg&ref=3475&subref=AA

do you have a raw shrimp or some sort of ammonia source in the tank now? Cycle won't progress without some constant ammonia source.

Can you go to the seafood counter at the supermarket and get 1 shrimp? It is the easiest way to start your cycle. Some guys use pure ammonia, but I don't know the difference between the bad and good kind of ammonia to tell you which one to get. I vote for 1 shrimp in a net, mesh bag, or a ladies knee high ( can get that at the cvs or other pharmacy type). You can also cut up a pair of pantyhose just knot the top and bottom to close.

I wouldn't, but I guess he could. All it's going to do is sit their. At least with the shrimp in a bag, he can monitor the decomp. I am no expert, but...the shrimp would be my preference. He could be the pantyhose/knee highs and shrimp for under 2 bucks.

how do I know when the ammonia spike starts cause my local store doesn't sell saltwater stuff at all

until you get your own test kit see if your friend will test your water with his kit

after you add the shrimp it will take a few days till you see a spike

You could use some fish food until you get to the store for a shrimp. Basically, you just need something to decompose in your tank and produce ammonia so that the bacteria will start to reproduce. A shrimp is easier cuz you just toss it in and leave it till you can't stand the smell anymore. Lol. Using fish food or janitorial ammonia, you'll have to remember to dose every day.

Oh I'm not saying use the food in lieu of shrimp. I was just saying for a day or two so something is in there that bacteria can break down. You need to get the shrimp most definitely...but depending on the time there, it may need to wait until tomorrow.

nikki_kaiser said:
Oh I'm not saying use the food in lieu of shrimp. I was just saying for a day or two so something is in there that bacteria can break down. You need to get the shrimp most definitely...but depending on the time there, it may need to wait until tomorrow.

I agree. :)

I've never tried blood worms, but I googled it, and multiple people said "yes" that blood worms would work. 1 person said to mash them up (ew) and throw them in, others just threw them in. I couldn't find anything that said how much to put in. Basically, you just need anything decaying in there. Also, raising your temperature in the tank temporarily to 83 or so apparently helps the bacteria to reproduce more quickly, thus helping to cycle faster. Of course, you'll need to lower temp again when cycles over and you put fish in there.

Alright I'll have to go grabs 55 heater the
One I have is only bringing it to 70 what do you guy keep your salinity I'm getting a bunch of different answer from 1.021 to 1.025

From the research I did, for fish only it's anywhere from 1.019-1.022, for corals it's 1.023-1.025. I have fish and corals, so I usually keep mine 1.024-1.025, and from what I've heard from others, that's a pretty common range. Yeah, I think most marine fish have a temp range from 72-78* F, so 70 is a little cool for them. My tank runs 78-79, depending on if I have a/c on or not. you're in Alaska, right? Are you in one of those areas I've heard about where everything has to get flown in cuz the roads are scarce? Lol. Not trying to stereotype Alaska, just heard that on a Discovery channel show or something. Lol.

No hahaha yeah I watch those shows all the time I'm like and hour from anchorage we just don't have a salt water store out here we only have freshwater

Back
Top Bottom