Can someone please get me a sump design link?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky@3rdshift

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have an extra 10 gallon tank. I was thinking a sumjp would be a good addition to my tank " you know with all the talk lately".

I need a bit of info I guess on what a sump actually does? Also a link to a good layout design for a 10 gallon tank anlong with a parts list and materials that work well etc... would be appreciated. i want to do it myself, and really need to understand it I guess before I do it.
TIA

A sump is nothing more than a place to put heaters etc so it will not clutter your tank. As far as a design goes it depends on if you have a skimmer etc that you plan on putting in the sump. If so you need baffles to keep your return pump from sucking up bubbles. Here is a picture of a wet/dry sump made from a 10 gal aquarium http://www.aquacrylics.com/75wovinsump.jpg

I use rock as baffles in my sump. For a sump you can do anything as long as you account of the bubbles.

A sump can have many uses:

An area to hide equipment, an area to run a skimmer, adding extra water volume, or a combination of these type things. Do you have a specific purpose, or are you just looking to "add a sump"?

Honestly I just keep hearing about Sumps this and sumps that I wanna know exactly what it would add to my 55 gallon tank. Does it replace the filtration of any kind? I just happen to mention i had a extra 10 gallon tank and one guy at the lfs suggested having it turned into a sump. he also mentioned something about a refugium.

someone just break it down for me and point me in the right direction please.

refugium is a place with *typically* a DSB and some Macro to export nitrites etc and to put a little love into your water, it also gives a place for pods to grow.

with a fuge, you kinda want to light it opposite of the tank and then it can also help your pH swings during the night to day.

all-in-all a sump just adds water volume, but lots of people including myself put extra equipment down there.

I have my skimmer, a heater, and an extra 30# of liverock :)

Back
Top Bottom