Can you put fancy fish in pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Post pics of them please. If we can see them that will really help. Or describe them the best you can. :) How low will the temp drop in that pond during the cold months where you live?

We live between france and the uk in the channel island and it gets to about 0 lowest it's ever been but normal 4 here is a similar pic of my fish

Attachments

• image-2297648633.jpg
    image-2297648633.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 202
Yikes..sadly I think that is going to be too cold for any fancy :(

The temp will be higher than that in winter because my dads thing can make it go up to at least 7c

Your dad's "thing" can raise the temp? Ummm...huh?

I am writing this from work, and unfortunately pics are blocked to this computer, so I am unable to see exactly what kind of fancy goldfish you have. But I can offer some general information on survivability in a pond. First, what kind of pond? (Is it hard-sided, or mud bottomed?) How big and how deep? Does it freeze all the way to the bottom? If not, how thick does the ice usually get, and do you have a way to keep a hole open for gas exchange? Some people use heaters for this, others use air bubbles.

In my neck of the woods (New England, USA) winters get very cold. My two ponds are hard-sided and freeze all the way to the bottom. I have hardy (non-fancy) comets, but they would never survive. So they all come in every fall and overwinter in a 100 gallon stock tank in my chilly basement. The water temp gets to 45 degrees down there, so they just go semi-dormant. I do not feed them until the water temp gets back up to 55 degrees in the spring.

Fancy goldfish are generally less hardy than comets. The degree to which they are less hardy depends on how fancy they are. A round bodied ryukin or a delicate telescope would be much less likely to survive than a basic fantail, etc. And pretty much any fancy will have a hard time competing for food against a comet.

To give any more advice, I will need to see your pics (probably at home), and know the answers to the questions above...

Um ok it is hard-sided uuhh it dose not freeze to bottom not may be a 1mm thickness maybe less um yea

I would not recommend it. Its too cold for these beautiful fancies. They also can not compete for food with other (faster) goldfish. I do know some goldfish breeders that keep fancies in ponds year-round but they also breed them specifically for coldweather hardiness. Perhaps you can find them a home with someone else?

0 degrees Celsius is the coldest it gets, but you dad has a heater than can keep it at 7 degrees Celsius?

is the pond more than 4 feet deep?
gold fish are very hardy but they still need to breathe
they also make heaters for ponds and put styrofoam and such on the surfacet to allow air

the biggest concern with these type of fish is that racoons might eat them...

glassbird said:
Your dad's "thing" can raise the temp? Ummm...huh?

I am writing this from work, and unfortunately pics are blocked to this computer, so I am unable to see exactly what kind of fancy goldfish you have. But I can offer some general information on survivability in a pond. First, what kind of pond? (Is it hard-sided, or mud bottomed?) How big and how deep? Does it freeze all the way to the bottom? If not, how thick does the ice usually get, and do you have a way to keep a hole open for gas exchange? Some people use heaters for this, others use air bubbles.

In my neck of the woods (New England, USA) winters get very cold. My two ponds are hard-sided and freeze all the way to the bottom. I have hardy (non-fancy) comets, but they would never survive. So they all come in every fall and overwinter in a 100 gallon stock tank in my chilly basement. The water temp gets to 45 degrees down there, so they just go semi-dormant. I do not feed them until the water temp gets back up to 55 degrees in the spring.

Fancy goldfish are generally less hardy than comets. The degree to which they are less hardy depends on how fancy they are. A round bodied ryukin or a delicate telescope would be much less likely to survive than a basic fantail, etc. And pretty much any fancy will have a hard time competing for food against a comet.

To give any more advice, I will need to see your pics (probably at home), and know the answers to the questions above...

Hi bud jus wondering how cold it does get were you live, as it's my first pond inserted summer gone and I'm worried about freezing solid, my pond is only 18" deep, but I have a heater on hand to create hole in surfice and to warm temp up, if it does work I'm not sure, never used one
But here in uk last winter was really cold
It's less than 50 ere now I've stopped feeding, do you think I should bring fish indoors or use heater and 2" air balls, or even keep pump & filter on the go, ur input I will take on board
Cheers Rob

Back
Top Bottom