Cardinal tetra with worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annlynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed that the color of one of my cardinals is off this morning. Upon further inspection I saw that there is a spot/bump up between the dorsal fin and eye, in the top of the blue stripe, that has a small worm looped in a "d" and seems to be in the skin. There may be another spot on the other side near the tail. Behavior seems fine and no other fish are showing symptoms. I have tried to get a pic but it is very hard with such a small, fast moving target.
Is this something I need to worry about? My Q tank is full of new fish so short of putting him in a jar I can't isolate him.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Delapool,
Thanks for replying. I googled anchor worm and it doesn't look like that is what my fish has. The worm appears entirely embedded in the skin, nothing is trailing out. It is still there and so far the behavior of the fish in question is normal, it isn't swimming funny or isolating and is still eating. Luckily I am not seeing anything on any other fish.
My tank stats
20g long
moderately-heavily planted (moving naturally towards heavily)
7 harlequin rasboras
5 cardinal tetras
and so many nails, pond and rams horn

The tetras are the most recent arrivals, they came in just before Christmas after a 3 week no problem quarantine. I had 6 but about a month ago I found one caught in the filter uptake (no idea how it managed that) and it died, so down to 5. I didn't do a close exam but nothing appeared to be wrong.

I would try an external wormer and see if that removes it. If possible in QT if you can as it doesn't sound like the tank has a problem. Also as I find new tetras not to be that hardy until established and no point stressing the whole tank if you don't have to imo.

There are harmless worms but it just doesn't sound right and any break in the scales could get fungal / bacterial infections so that would be my other reason for treating and trying to get it healed up.

Back
Top Bottom