Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I started my 30 I bought about 35 lbs of LR from my LFS and was told there wouldn't be much of a cycle. They were right, in 1 week all 0 and nitrates 10. Waited another 2 weeks and still no spikes.

Took a chance and started stocking and all was well.

Pschmitt said:
When I started my 30 I bought about 35 lbs of LR from my LFS and was told there wouldn't be much of a cycle. They were right, in 1 week all 0 and nitrates 10. Waited another 2 weeks and still no spikes.

Took a chance and started stocking and all was well.

I had a similar experience. Waited three weeks and finally dosed pure ammonia and immediately zeroed am and trite and spiked trate. :)

i dont know much about that other stuff carey, but your plumbing will turn out to be easier than finalizing your stocking list or figuring out what rock to put where.

once you get going you will see.

I'm still not too sure I didnt go overboard with this upcoming build. lol

I was thinking the cycle would be quick too, what with 50lbs of established coralline filled algae rock. Plus I need to fill out some spaces in the 125g anyways. ;-)

Just hoping 100lbs will look good in such a large tank. I have 200lbs+ in my 125g. lol

Was starting to wonder about lighting. Since it's fish only I have no need for expensive lighting. I was planning on glass tops and using a 36" T8 doubel light strip that I happen to have. Will that much light even make it to the bottom of the tank? LOL

Theres a guy on CL selling a 48" double t5 for $25. Woudl this actually make any difference?

Any thoughts appreciated!

i would want a blue bulb as well as a daylight lamp over a fish only, simply because it will make the colors on the fish pop, just like it does corals. buy the 25 dollar t5 strip and then use a blue plus and an aquablue special in it.

Gotcha. Will email the guy back today.

Thanks!!

ps.- get a chance to peek at my other bulb thread in equipment? I know, I know, I;m a pishy type of gal...LOL

Gotcha. Will email the guy back today.

Thanks!!

ps.- get a chance to peek at my other bulb thread in equipment? I know, I know, I;m a pishy type of gal...LOL

Having typing problems? LOL. I'm trying to follow all your threads and dang it's hard to keep up.

Do you think Mr. X would just go for building our light sets for us LOL, less thinking on our part then. :hide:

he is like my lighting guru. He got me hooked with his initital suggestion for my 55g and to this day I still love the color and function. I think he may have his hands full as he just picked up a 350g or 250g tank the other day. LOL

He's actually re doing a wall and putting it in. His thread is listed. Dougs 250 or 350 build. You gotta see what he's up to LOL

Nothing new to report, no bites on any of the 3 tanks I have for sale on CL. The guy who was coming to buy the pico never showed. Figures...

I am thinking I am gonna totally part out the 55g so I can get it out of here and buy the 90g stand. I could buy the stand now but have no spot for it until the 55g goes.

grrr just wanted a quick sale now I gotta part it out. At least I can keep the heater and powerhead for the 90g then.

yeah that blows, sweety pie just posted our 55 on cl today. i still want to get another 40 for our german blue rams that are in it.

so I made some stocking choices today after much thought. I;ve got it almost complete. At least this way I know exactly what's going in and what I need to do. I'm still stocking the 125g and i think I finished up that final stocking too. :)

For this 90g-

Soldier fish
Flame Hawkfish
Blue Assessor
Double saddle Angel OR yellow long nose
I'm picking two wrasses out of the below choices
Pink Face
Carpenters
McCoskers
As for my centerpiece fish I'd like to have a harlequin tusk. :)

I'd be willing to give up one of the wrasses and the assessor to make that happen.

What do you think?

I also want to put in a starfish. Will any of the fish above mess witha chocolate chip starfish?

Would having turbo snails be ok, they are pretty big.....

harlequin tusk live aquaria says it needs a 125 gallon. i want one of those too. but thought it was a no go for me until we get our 125 or 180 which ever one we can get a better deal on.

Yeah, I saw the minimum. Not sure if because of swim room though or some other reason. I'm hoping I can get one, technically I'm just short 35 gallons. LOL

Kinda like with the tangs, I'd really like one but will it harm the fish? I was hoping someone on here has/had one and could fill me in.

Strecthing the limits, I know......LOL

Id say go with it, max size is 10" and it doesn't mention anything about an overly active swimming style

I'm tempted to just do that, lol, I just don't want to jeopardize their health if they need a 6 foot tank like a tang. A few sites recommend 90 gallons as well so it looks like it's just a matter of opinion. I'm thinking of only like 7-8 fish in all anyways with limited rock so I think there'd be enough swim room.

Back
Top Bottom