Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they are not similar looking it's supposed to be ok. I have a pink spotted goby and a lawnmower blenny already in the tank so the bright yellow blenny shouldnt spur any issues. I hardly ever see my blenny anyways, unless he is eating off the back wall. lol

carey said:
If they are not similar looking it's supposed to be ok. I have a pink spotted goby and a lawnmower blenny already in the tank so the bright yellow blenny shouldnt spur any issues. I hardly ever see my blenny anyways, unless he is eating off the back wall. lol

My bleeny is pretty active. See him going from rock to rock. Just blends in so well with the rocks...

Mine is apercher and starer. he will just give me a look when I'm over there as if to say whatcha looking at? he's very nosy but has been keeping to himself lately. I think the big tank has him confused. lol

Thanks, some good information. I think I will try my luck with one when the tank is up and running.

Id be careful with the cc starfish, only reason I say that i because some fish that are known to pick and nibble at coral, will do the same with the cc. Our cc got pulled off the glass atleast once a day by the infamous triggers, then we added our blue-spot puffer, he tore up the cc to the point where I had to relocate the cc:( so long story short, be cautious:) oh and check out the red cc starfish...its bright red and awesome

I don't think I have any potential stock that will go after the starfish. Mostly semi aggressive coral eaters. lol

Wow. I really did get lucky with my spotted puffer. Cus I have a I think it is a sand starfish in my tank and a few peppermet shrimp and two cleaner shrim and my puff leaves them alone. Doesn't even care about them at all. Was thinking about getting another one when I get the 210 going but am scared the new one might be more nippy at my inverts.

Hope he doesn't change his ways when I get my 210 going.

I hope so too! You never know with those guys. I;d err on the side of caution though. :)

Well today is the big stand shopping day! And livestock window shopping too. I always tend to end up with something though.

Wish I knew when i could go, I have a guy comingby today to pick up the pico tank. Bye bye little pico....It was a great experience though, I loved that little tank.

On that note, the sun polyps died on me finally which is why I listed the tank setup on CL. I don;t think I got a very good specimen to start with though, mine never once fully opened. Only a couple times when I first got it it would open enough for me to feed it. Didn't even want cyclopeeze! Poor little coral. i have officially had 2 corals die on me now, my open brain forever ago and now this one. Kinda feel like I failed somehow. Well, I guess thats because I actually did fail. :-(

Well my hunting for a stand was kinda successful. I found one that will fit everything for 189$ BUT the skimmer cup will just barely have room to be taken off. So the next stand up has plenty of room on top for the skimmer cup but its $269. i think I;m gonna go with the $269 one. Just need to save some money somehow. lol They are both made of real wood, not composite and are fully assembled so to speak. The expensive one has a flat top too, it's not just the frame ones, but I'll have to drill a hole in the top part for the drilled holes to go through and run my plumbing. THIS I can do. hehe...

So maybe this week or next week I guess i;ll get the stand.

Oh the stocking! I;m gonna have fun with that. Still trying to see if a harlequin tusk would be ok in the 90g. :)

Anyone have one?

Nice to hear. Keeping up with this has made me more focused on doing my 210. Found a new Lfs and just got 267lbs of dry rock and got the gf to make a list of fish and coral she wants. Will be starting a thread once I get home and get the rock layed out. Going to be a fun ride I think.

Not sure how to do a link. I do this through my phone. But will try. It will be under reef and names 210 fun

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but I'm starting to think about the future of this tank.

I plan on having 100lbs of rock total, yeah I know, not enough but that's what I'm planning on. I want the fish to be the showcase here not the rockwork and since there will never be any corals in here I think it should be fine.

I was thinking of ordering 100lbs of base rock and putting 50 in this new tank and removing about 50lbs form my 125g and adding it into the 90 as well, then using the rest of the 50lbs of base rock to the 125g to become live.

This should considerably cut my cycling time down I'm thinking and I'll be introducing coralline into the 90g as well. Cause to be honest, I think the 125g has TOO much purple, it's kinda distracting from all the coral and the fish even.

I know adding the base rock to 125 wont affect any parameters but what do you think I can expect in the 90g with 50lbs of LR and 50lbs of base? Maybe a slight spike? I've never had a real cycle when I've added live rock to one of my tanks from another, maybe a slight increase in ammonia and then straight to nitrates.

does this sound about right? I know I won't be able to immediately start adding fish to the 90 and I still have to finish stocking my 125g and the 20g rimless still so they would be my priorities. Although adding one fish to the 90g might be a possibility just to keep things running and interesting. I expect the plumbing issues to take quite a while to resolve anyways. LOL

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks so much! i appreciate the views!

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but I'm starting to think about the future of this tank.

I plan on having 100lbs of rock total, yeah I know, not enough but that's what I'm planning on. I want the fish to be the showcase here not the rockwork and since there will never be any corals in here I think it should be fine.

I was thinking of ordering 100lbs of base rock and putting 50 in this new tank and removing about 50lbs form my 125g and adding it into the 90 as well, then using the rest of the 50lbs of base rock to the 125g to become live.

This should considerably cut my cycling time down I'm thinking and I'll be introducing coralline into the 90g as well. Cause to be honest, I think the 125g has TOO much purple, it's kinda distracting from all the coral and the fish even.

I know adding the base rock to 125 wont affect any parameters but what do you think I can expect in the 90g with 50lbs of LR and 50lbs of base? Maybe a slight spike? I've never had a real cycle when I've added live rock to one of my tanks from another, maybe a slight increase in ammonia and then straight to nitrates.

does this sound about right? I know I won't be able to immediately start adding fish to the 90 and I still have to finish stocking my 125g and the 20g rimless still so they would be my priorities. Although adding one fish to the 90g might be a possibility just to keep things running and interesting. I expect the plumbing issues to take quite a while to resolve anyways. LOL

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks so much! i appreciate the views!

Sounds like a plan! Did you use purple up on your 125g?:thanks:

I have put in in on occasion but it;s been months. I usually use it when I readjust my powerheads so I can see the flow patterns, but I dont regulary use it. I still have half a small bottle left and I bought it in february. lol

Back
Top Bottom