Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
Just put the second coat of paint on the back of the tank. :) Not sure how it will look when dry cause the paint started to buckle when I put the second coat on. :-(

I've been thinking of what pump I want to use with this setup, I have a mag 7 that came with the 75g stuff but I also have a mag 9.5 brand new. Which one would be better to use?

I'm gonna list the mh lighting fixture, I decided I don't want to take a chance of the heat breaking the glass lids. Also gonna keep the stand the oak color, the more I look at it the more I like it. lol

Gonna have a bunch more questions as I work on this so bear with me!

Here's the tank all painted up

Wow, fantastic job. It looks great! (y)

carey said:
Thanks, it took awhile to tape off the back and actually paint, I'm doing it by hand. lol

I bet! I would never have the patience to paint a tank. I would probably mess up too! Then again maybe after a little practice I would get the hang of it. :)

So I go out to the garage this morning and all the paint peeled off. :-(

I went to home depot and they gave me a clear primer to use so I just finished putting that on the tank. Hopefully that will work. bah! what a bummer...

carey said:
So I go out to the garage this morning and all the paint peeled off. :-(

I went to home depot and they gave me a clear primer to use so I just finished putting that on the tank. Hopefully that will work. bah! what a bummer...

Really sorry about that carey. :(

Carey,I've never understood,why paint the back of your tank when the tape to reversible black/blue backgrounds are so cheap and easy to use or switch.Especially when the back of your tank will be covered in Coraline eventually anyway.

I've used the reversible backgrounds and it's always a pain to get them to stay and cut just right. LOL After I painted my first tank I realized how much easier and better it is. Just me though, and I'm a tad strange. ;-)

carey said:
I've used the reversible backgrounds and it's always a pain to get them to stay and cut just right. LOL After I painted my first tank I realized how much easier and better it is. Just me though, and I'm a tad strange. ;-)

I hear you. I'll just about do anything to avoid painting anything.LOL

Hopefully that primer will work. My self I'd airbrush the paint and primer if needed. What type of paint did you use.

I have for primer, lol, Martha Stewart clear, it's for painting tile and glass and I used regualr old latex for the black. I've used it about half a dozen times and it never peeled before. Always a first time I guess. hehe...

Anyone have any opinion on whether to use a mag 7 or a mag 9.5 return pump? It's a drilled 1" hole so I'm figuring on 600gph coming in and there will be about 4 foot of head loss as the tank is pretty darn tall.

The mag 9 has a 3/4 inch outlet which would be convenient since the return predrilled hole is also 3/4 inch while the mag 7 is at 1/2 inch. I'm a big fan of water circulation so I'm leaning towards the 9.5.

Any input welcome, since I am working on the plumbing and have no idea I would appreciate any help I can get. :-D

I think you've done a good job explaining why the 9.5 would be the better choice. I'm all for flow, and I always say too much is better than not enough... My vote is to go ahead with the 9.5.

Thanks, I think i will go with the 9.5 and keep the 7 for a backup. :)

Got another question, of course,LOL.

Should I use eggcrate on the bottom of my sand? I havent' used it before but was thinking I could do this tank right. Any pros or cons to using it? I wasn't going to go with a deep sandbed or anything but thought it might give me a better, more stable base for my rock.

was kinda productive today. Got the tank repainted, this time I did it freehand with no tape hopefully it doesnt peel off again. lol Also got some PVC piping, a ball valve and a check valve. Which leads me to yet another question, do I need the check valve on a drilled tank? I know I'll need the ball valve since I'll be running the mag 9.5 so it will have to be throttled back a bit but not sure if there is a system in place using the overflow kit so that water doesnt siphon back to the tank.

Thank you!!

carey said:
was kinda productive today. Got the tank repainted, this time I did it freehand with no tape hopefully it doesnt peel off again. lol Also got some PVC piping, a ball valve and a check valve. Which leads me to yet another question, do I need the check valve on a drilled tank? I know I'll need the ball valve since I'll be running the mag 9.5 so it will have to be throttled back a bit but not sure if there is a system in place using the overflow kit so that water doesnt siphon back to the tank.

Thank you!!

Awesome! I love productive days! I hope all goes well with the paint!

Thanks! I need all the reassurance I can get! LOL

The paint has dried and it looks great, better than the last time. No peeling and I got pretty much complete coverage. woohoo!

I tried to clean the dust off the inside of the tank and guess what? My little T-rex arms can't reach the bottom of the tank!! I was on the top rung of a stepladder too! This is gonna make putting rock and sand in very very difficult. So glad I'm not going reef with this one, I'd never get my corals placed correctly. LOL

Also ran the halides for awhile and I think they do in fact get too hot for the lids so I gotta sell em. Such a shame too....Oh well....

I'm hoping after I get sand in the tank I can reach in far enough to place my rock, I'm like 4 inches short of touching the bottom. :-(

Thanks! I need all the reassurance I can get! LOL

The paint has dried and it looks great, better than the last time. No peeling and I got pretty much complete coverage. woohoo!

I tried to clean the dust off the inside of the tank and guess what? My little T-rex arms can't reach the bottom of the tank!! I was on the top rung of a stepladder too! This is gonna make putting rock and sand in very very difficult. So glad I'm not going reef with this one, I'd never get my corals placed correctly. LOL

Also ran the halides for awhile and I think they do in fact get too hot for the lids so I gotta sell em. Such a shame too....Oh well....

I'm hoping after I get sand in the tank I can reach in far enough to place my rock, I'm like 4 inches short of touching the bottom. :-(

So glad that the paint dried correctly! I know that it is a bummer that the halide's get hot, but maybe you will be able to get some good money for them! :)

I run 3-400w halides on the 175 with glass covers and that's inside a hood with no fans the tank runs about 81

Still up in the air as to what is going in, but so far i want:
A saddle or double saddle butterfly fish
a pygmy angel
a flame hawk
some wrasses

:)

theres a few others I've been looking at as well, just havent finalized the list yet. It is gonna be a fowlr so I can get non coral friendly fish lol

Back
Top Bottom