Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would recommend a green wrasse. Their color is amazing, but they are not reef-safe :( they are on LA.

Still up in the air as to what is going in, but so far i want:
A saddle or double saddle butterfly fish
a pygmy angel
a flame hawk
some wrasses

:)

theres a few others I've been looking at as well, just havent finalized the list yet. It is gonna be a fowlr so I can get non coral friendly fish lol

The stocklist looks great. Did you have any specific Wrasses in mind? There are some really beautiful ones, but they are really expensive.

Still up in the air as to what is going in, but so far i want:
A saddle or double saddle butterfly fish
a pygmy angel
a flame hawk
some wrasses

:)

theres a few others I've been looking at as well, just havent finalized the list yet. It is gonna be a fowlr so I can get non coral friendly fish lol

totally jelous, get some tangs

LOL You asked for the list, well here it is! It's kinda long but it's what I decided to choose from. :-D

Half Black Angel
Flame Hawk, pair maybe
Double saddle OR yellow longnose Butterfly
Yellow Brotuid

List of wrasses I will choose from, it's still long lol
Carpenters
McCoskers
Pink Face
Lubbocks Fairy
Scots Fairy
Red Velvet fairy
Bluehead Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse
Vroliiks Wrasse

This is the maybe list, depends on the final stocking list
Squirellfish or Soldierfish
Bi-Color Goatfish
Harlequin Tusk

This is a big list and i don't know what the final count will be it all depends on the fish. I could stick with the top list and have a whole bunch of wrasses or just a couple wrasses and something off my maybe list. :-D

Since I'm waiting on the 55g to sell so I can move the 90g into it's place you guys might as well critique my list. lol I do it enough so here's your chance to share what you know and let me know what you think.

I do realize that a handful of the fish I have proposed can be semi- aggerssive. I think if balanced correctly it could work. I wouldnt' want more than 2 maybe 3 semi's I think. I researched the heck out of like 200 fish, LOL I have a steno pad full of data I wrote down. I based my list on aggression, size, food and feeding needs, average recommended tank size as well as if they were invert safe. I choose to go invert free based on what I read so I can have a wider variety of fish to choose from.

I know this is really long, I'm sorry. ;-)

not to me. no more butterflies for me. the odds are too great against them.

What are your thoughts on the saddleback and double saddle butterflys? I did extensive research and found those to be the best bet for home aquaria. That is the one fish, a butterfly, that I was super intense about researching.
I have a couple others on my list too but have since abandoned those.

if attempted, what would be your suggestion?

Thanks X!

carey said:
LOL You asked for the list, well here it is! It's kinda long but it's what I decided to choose from. :-D

Half Black Angel
Flame Hawk, pair maybe
Double saddle OR yellow longnose Butterfly
Yellow Brotuid

List of wrasses I will choose from, it's still long lol
Carpenters
McCoskers
Pink Face
Lubbocks Fairy
Scots Fairy
Red Velvet fairy
Bluehead Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse
Vroliiks Wrasse

This is the maybe list, depends on the final stocking list
Squirellfish or Soldierfish
Bi-Color Goatfish
Harlequin Tusk

This is a big list and i don't know what the final count will be it all depends on the fish. I could stick with the top list and have a whole bunch of wrasses or just a couple wrasses and something off my maybe list. :-D

Since I'm waiting on the 55g to sell so I can move the 90g into it's place you guys might as well critique my list. lol I do it enough so here's your chance to share what you know and let me know what you think.

I do realize that a handful of the fish I have proposed can be semi- aggerssive. I think if balanced correctly it could work. I wouldnt' want more than 2 maybe 3 semi's I think. I researched the heck out of like 200 fish, LOL I have a steno pad full of data I wrote down. I based my list on aggression, size, food and feeding needs, average recommended tank size as well as if they were invert safe. I choose to go invert free based on what I read so I can have a wider variety of fish to choose from.

I know this is really long, I'm sorry. ;-)

I think you should definitely go for the pair of Flame Hawks, I saw a pair on LA the other day (that rhymes, lol). They looked very cool.

Hmm getting it in person might be difficult as I usually see the more popular copperbands and other "difficult" butterflys... I wanted to make the butterfly on of the first fish due to it's temperment and feeding habits. It could take months if at all for me to find one locally.

Is it that bad of an idea to get one online? What do you think is the detrimental aspect of doing that?

all you have to do is ask them to order it. they see them on stock lists all the time. they can get one on the very next order. they are not hard to order.

My lfs's arent very "order" friendly. Thats' why the majority of my fish have come from online, except for my Tangs which I couldn't bear to have shipped and stressed. :)

all of your tangs are shipped and stressed. it doesn't make sense for the lfs to not order you a fish. did you offer them a deposit? i would offer them a deposit and tell them as soon as you see it eat it's a done deal.
they don't pay more than 10-12 dollars for those fish...i don't see the risk on their part.

I know, I've offered to pay in full even and still the fish I ask for never come in. I waited awhile for blue reef chromis, a midas blenny in vain and even the blue tang i got took a few weeks to get to the store. I'll try again when I go in on thursday and see what he says. I'm a real good customer and when I tell him I want something and he gets it then I buy it. It took months to get my blue mandarin for me. lol

I think I'll heed your advice about not shipping the butterfly. It will be a challenge enough without the added stress.

carey said:
I know, I've offered to pay in full even and still the fish I ask for never come in. I waited awhile for blue reef chromis, a midas blenny in vain and even the blue tang i got took a few weeks to get to the store. I'll try again when I go in on thursday and see what he says. I'm a real good customer and when I tell him I want something and he gets it then I buy it. It took months to get my blue mandarin for me. lol

I think I'll heed your advice about not shipping the butterfly. It will be a challenge enough without the added stress.

Bluezooaquatics shipped 2 to me with the food they were being fed there and they ate the hour I put them into my tank. Unfortunately my yellow tang wasn't very friendly and killed both of them with his pointy mouth. They were a vagabond and pearlscale butterfly fish

Added an almost must have fish to my list. :-D

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Two-line Monocle Bream

This would change my stocking though as it grows quite large. Been thinking of going with a Kleins butterfly instead, they are half the size of the saddlebacks and also seem easier to keep.

Also would like a purple tilefish

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Purple Tilefish

So my stocking would be:
kleins butterfly
half black angel
yellow brotuid
flame hawk
bi color goatfish
purple tilefish
yellow bream

Not sure how many wrasses i could fit in with 8 fish so that's up in the air.

Any thoughts anyone?

Also as a side note, I am prepared to sell the live rock out of the 55g and move it into the garage and slide the 90g in place soon even if I can't sell the whole setup. I am getting very impatient as i have everything I need to get the 90g rolling.

Added an almost must have fish to my list. :-D

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Two-line Monocle Bream

This would change my stocking though as it grows quite large. Been thinking of going with a Kleins butterfly instead, they are half the size of the saddlebacks and also seem easier to keep.

Also would like a purple tilefish

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Purple Tilefish

So my stocking would be:
kleins butterfly
half black angel
yellow brotuid
flame hawk
bi color goatfish
purple tilefish
yellow bream

Not sure how many wrasses i could fit in with 8 fish so that's up in the air.

Any thoughts anyone?

Also as a side note, I am prepared to sell the live rock out of the 55g and move it into the garage and slide the 90g in place soon even if I can't sell the whole setup. I am getting very impatient as i have everything I need to get the 90g rolling.

Nice choices of fish! (y) I may be getting the Yellow Brotuid confused with another fish, but I thought they were very hard to take care of.:confused:

I like the green wrasse! Looks like a decent fish to add. I'll have to put him on the list of wrasses. :)

As far as my research has been on the brotulid it seems to point to it being a relatively easy fish to care for. But I'll take some more time and see if I come up with anything negative about them.

Thanks guys!

lol. I have a green clown goby in my 20g now. I would like to get like one more when I upgrade that tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom