Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
My b&w oscellaris look just like those australian ones and they were alot cheaper! lol

Do you have a pic??? Do you kno how much this site charges for shipping and handling

Yeah, dragonets.

And LOL little fat blenny, he's cute. You a fan of the Starry Blenny? Or Tailspots stay small

I was interested in the starry. :) I really want another blenny, soo much personality. I like the little yellow fat guy alot though. So Cute!

**SIGH** I am in the market for a 29 BioCube. The leaks will not stop and I've siliconed the entire thing all the way around and starting up the sides.

I found one on Amazon for 250. I'm gonna have to wait til the end of the month though I think. Well, maybe. I have way too much money invested in this cube setup already. Now I have to empty it again and move the rock into my vacant 29g tank until I get a new biocube.

Anyone else with a cube have any leaking issues? The more reviews I read the more I'm convinced it's a natural occurence.

Your just gonna need to be patient with the silicone. you need to fully empty the tank, remove the damaged areas of silicone, rub it with rubbing alcohol, then let it dry for a while, overnight is probably for the best, you don't want to rush this. The area needs to be completely dry because silicone will not stick to a wet surface, then after that the silicone needs to cure for at least 24 hours. I would wait 48 hours though because being patient with it will probably save you a lot of time and frustration.

Yah you are going to have to re-silicone it properly to save it. I have a leak in my jbj nanocube but i have read they are a better brand as far as leaks. The one i have is along the top seam and only leaks when i have it topped off right to the top, then its a really slow drip. I just left it and every few days there is some salt creep build up that i wipe off (it's near the back so not noticeable either).

I really really like that blenny, super cute! The scooter blennys are also great, I have one in my seahorse tank and he is a piggy, like really really fat! I here they are easier to get eating frozen foods as well. Mine has always eaten frozen so no experience in training them haha sorry.

It's not just leaking from the glass area now. Now anything with a seam is leaking. it's kinda hard to explain. lol Theres the plastic frame that goes around the whole thing and thats also leaking. near where the fill line is, the min maximum window? Its' leaking underneath there too.

It's literally leaking from everywhere.

My plan to emoty the cube and move it to my 29g seems the only solution for right now. Maybe when its empty again I can get a better idea, but I think it's ebay time.

Whatever you do i hope it works out to where you spend as little money as possible, good luck!

Just a quick question. How much do spend on livestock generally? I'm thinking about throwing together a reef (I haven't had SW in about 5-6 years now, but that was only a fowlr....I probably still have the old LR (now dry) hidden in some god forsaken trashcan in the garage) . I'm a student now so I don't really have to cash to burn (saving for a trip to japan with the girlfriend as well).

How big of a reef? You could get some cheaper fish to begin with until you have more money. Like green chromis or anthias (not the expensive ones obviously haha). Cost of water and salt would add up too, not too crazy though.

It's almost 3 am and I finally just about finished. I drained the tank and moved as much rock into my other tank as I could. I have a bucket with a ph and heater holding the rest. Tomorrow I plan on removing the sand, I'm too tired and frustrated for that tonight. I figure I'll just put the sand in a bucket with some water.

I'm going to check out the cube later but i don't think it's redeemable. It's leaking out of places without silicone on the sides and top.

This leaves me with the option of waiting til the end of the month for a new one, scrapping the whole idea or charging one now for delivery next week.

What would you folks do? I'm about $300 into this not including what I paid for the cube.

I say if you are going to get another buy one new. You now know the dangers and what you get if you buy used.

I've personally only had 1 problem with my cube and that was the fans, but that was an easy <$20 fix. Not sure what that previous owner had done with it though

Obviously as you know if you do buy another what you have invested (minus the cube) will almost double how much you're in.

+1 there.

I too experienced a fan issue but that's it. I tend to buy new lately out of a terrible experience with used. Obviously if the price is right used we'll talk, but i'm pretty wary now.

I definitely am thinking on buying new now, for pieceof mind and some kind of warranty.

Since I now have all this rock the only other option is to buy a used 125g but I'd still have to invest in alot of other things to go with it.

I'm thinking I'll get a new cube, I guess I can look at it like I only lost $100 on the deal. I also think I may be able to get some of the money back by piecing out the broken cube for parts. I've seen the led's, fans. ballasts and even the whole lid on eBay so that might be an option too.

Thanks for continuing the great advice guys, you have no idea how much I appreciate it!!
:)

A lesson learned though. This is exactly why I'm scared to buy anything used. Especially something that would endanger the life of my fish

I'd personally much rather shell out the extra cash for the piece of mind that it's new

I have gotten some great stuff, great deals and met some amazing people through buying used, but it is a risk. I water test everything for maybe a week before I even get thinking about what to do with the tank.

Back
Top Bottom