Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
How do you get worms in a fw tank? Is it from having live plants? I've luckily never spotted any in my tanks. I would def be grossed out. yech..

No I don't think it was because of the plants. I was too enthusiastic feeding my fish so overfeeding was the most likely cause. Being thoroughly freaked and grossed out, I did some research and those were probably planaria worms. They disappeared after I cut back on the food.

So I got a question about the scooter. they are supposed to be like mandarins in that they eat ALL day long. I just fed some prepared food and he totally pigged out and now he has stopped pecking at the sand. Does that mean he is full for now?

I know, silly question...LOL

hey got a question for you does your clownfish ever try to host your elegance? i caught this activity today and the elegance doesnt seem to like it one bit hes closed up pretty small today, before this it got pretty huge so do i just let nature takes its course or try to move the coral somewhere else so they wont bother it

Oh yeah hack, all FOUR of my clowns like to host it. And to be honest they are killing mine. I don't know how to discourage them.

I've moved them out of the tank and rearranged, no luck. I've taken the coral out for a few days, put it back, no luck.
I only have the 2 b&w's hosting it right now, the lone oscellaris is kinda hanging on the other side of the tank.

I hope they settle down, they literally dive bomb into the elegance. lol

Be careful the clowns don't hurt themselves too, they can literally love the coral to death and then continue to love the skeleton and scratch themselves up pretty bad. Thats why I'm so glad mine are hosting my green mushroom haha maybe get some big hairy mushrooms or something. They might host them if you take the elegance out and put the mushrooms in, might take a few weeks though.

yea its not looking too good right now the elegance is totally closed up

Are you gonna start restocking soon?

After I do my PWC on sunday I'm going to make sure the water is good on monday and then get another green chromis.. so I'll have two again.

Then I'll wait a week or two and get a couple of clowns (i am really looking at those maroon/yellow ones!).

Taking it slow! even though it's so hard

So I have a death this morning. :-( One of my peppermint shrimp passed, and no, its unfortunately not a molt. Her eggs are still visible and my cuc is eating it. That makes the count probably 2 dead in the cube if we count the candycane goby that hasn't been seen.

I'm kinda upset since I havent suffered any other deaths since i started other than a powerhead sucking up a small fish.

Very sad...I was gonna get 3 sexy shrimp this weekend I hope they fare ok. Gonna go test all my parameters to make sure.

hey scott, glad you're restocking. I bet you have more luck this time. :)

Just ran all my tests and they seem normal. ammonia, trites 0, trates about 10, salinity 1.023 and ph looks around 8.2.

I may have just gotten bum shrimp. lol I bought them from a less than stellar lfs. :-(

It's half base rock and half from my 55g pretty much so there weren't any hitchhikers. I always check out anything I put in my tanks like a thousand times, I am soo paranoid about bristle worms.

The shrimp was pretty much intact, had some snails munching it until I took it out. Kinda stinks since she had soo many eggs.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Yes, I have a feeling things will go better this time around too. I kind of know what I'm doing now!

carey said:
I got one but I paid anyway. it's the least i could. :)

I have a new stocking list for the cube:

1- Citron Goby
1- Candycane Goby
1- Scooter Dragonet
1- Female Misbar oscellaris

I decided to sell off the other 29g sw setup so i had to find a home for the clown. I woulda returned her but she's kinda cool, just doesn't get along with other clown fish.

I was thinking on adding one more fish to the mix. Not sure what though. It would have to be small. I'd like a swimming fish though. the only fish that swims around is the clown LOL

I have a sunshine dottyback very colorful and active plus will eat bristle worms gets along great with my maroon clownfish and cuc can fit thru the smallest holes in rock work very fun to watch

I've looked at the dottybacks before, I'm aiming for a totally non aggressive tank. They are awesome looking though!

So far the evil female clown has been superb with the others. They all sit on top of each other its soo cute!

Back
Top Bottom