Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, since I;m the inpatient type, I added back the two par38 bulbs just a little while ago and with them AND the MH the corals are already responding. My new frogspawn is opening up more than it has and the color is brilliant.

I'm starting to think maybe the 150 MH isnt strong enough or the bulb is REALLY shot. I should have my new 20k bulb by friday though so I guess i will run all three until then unless something starts to bleach out or look not so good.

This tank is gonna be trial and error I think as far as the lighting. If it were straight T5's I think it would be easier but I really wanted to do something different this time around.

I'm still holding off on adding the clowns though, wanna make sure the tank is stable. So far the clown goby and barnacle blenny are good, but then again their bioload is almost nothing they are so small. lol

carey, just a FYI- corals won't stay closed if there isn't enough light, they will open more, to try and absorb extra light.
also, a 20k lamp is about the dimmest lamp you can use in a halide fixture. if you feel it's dim, you need to go with 14k or even 10k. for that extra brightness though, you'll give up blue.

Ahh theres always a caveat isnt there? I really like the blue though...Maybe the MH isnt for me. I;ll know more when the new bulb gets here.

if the corals open when looking for light what would explain them opening up now with MORE light available?

water parameters are all 0 ceot trates are at about 2.5. I did a recent water change so I expect my calcium and alkalinity to be fine.

anything else i can be looking for? Or am I just changing up the lighting too fast for them to adjust? Any recommended amount of time to give them before moving on to a different option?

thanks very much!

it could take a week before you see the effects from your lighting. i added 3 new lamps to my tank without shielding the corals one time, and about a week later everything started to melt. i lost football sized zoa colonies and many corals bleached. i can almost guarantee that fixture you bought had an old bulb and the new lamp might possibly be stronger (those cheapo ebay lamps are weak on PAR), so wait and see. as for the halides and color- this is why you see metal halide fixtures that have actinic supplement....so you can use a high par 14k or 10k lamp and add blue to it with cf's or t5's.

Yep, I would agree on the MH with supplemental actinics, was just hesitant to go full out on such a small tank. These LEDs are cheaper than a MH and I think they would provide the blue I love so much.

Amazon.com: Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers a very good growing habitat for green aquatic seaweeds corals fish etc: Sunvalleytek

With 25 blues and 30 whites in your opinion would that have a good blue hue? I am thisclose to just going T5's again. LOL I'm pretty good with those spectrums

i have no idea carey. i know general LED stuff i've read. i've never owned one to be able to give you more detailed info. my opinion would be that you should buy a LED fixture you can adjust to your liking. it's worth a lot to me to be able to adjust for the perfect PAR and color.

I was looking at this tank and thinking hmmmm....maybe I'll add a few tiny fish to it. I want to add a yellow clown goby and maybe some others. nothing bigger than an inch or so though. I think it would be cool to have a bunch of tiny fish swimming around. LOL

Caught a shot of the blenny, right side in picture below...he is just too fast to get a full shot of him, I love feeding this guy...lol

img_1521603_0_6e55f497183bc1b564963211d5571eff.jpg

Ya know, I think your right. I want them all! getting the midas at some point for the 125g so now its on to more exotic and smaller ones. I like the black sailfin blenny on aquacon, he would be soo cool in my cube once the clowns are out. :)

You've seen my feeding habits so I think I'm safe as far as that. hehe

But I;m looking at several tiny fish. Was even thinkg those glass cardianls, they are so tiny and cute. I need to link the ones I like...lol

I probably won;t have anything going onb with this tank til I get a new bulb and figure out my lighting setup so I figured I;d start a stock list. ;-)

Well my new 20k halide came today. About the only good thing that happened today, it;s been an awful day.

But anyways, after I took out the old bulb I can see why it was dim, the entire bulb was almost black.
The new bulb I don't like in the least though. It is a tad brighter and bluer but still not the look I'm going for. Least I gave halides a try. Now to put it on craigslist and see if I can get my money back at least.

So now it's back to LED's. I have the unit picked out already and hoepfully that will be the look I want. They aren't adjustable which I would have loved to have but I will make due with two controllers.

I'm also selling my community tank to make room for this tank against a wall so I can mount the LED's.

Wanting to do something different I didn't expect this many hurdles. Makes me just wanna give up the fight. :-(

Awww im sorry. Ill give mh their respect, but im not a fan of them. In terms of your leds, im pretty sure its simple to put in a dimmer control. Just a matter of cut and splice

Just a idea on hanging lights . This is what I did for 2 of my tanks and it did not cost a lot just a DIY job. I just used chain and metal conduit. Easy to raise and lower by using carabiners.

Attachments

• image-2324815697.jpg
    image-2324815697.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-994292321.jpg
    image-994292321.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image-202314363.jpg
    image-202314363.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 103
Wow, thats awesome work! I know I couldnt get even half way to that. lol

I think I'll end up with plant hangers on the wall, maybe extended out a little by a 2 x 4 brace. still not sure til I get thelights and that other tank outta here.

I just thought of something, a powerful single focused bulb recessed into the ceiling above the tank, it would eliminate any gear above the tank and will look amazinh

Well anything that makes it easy to get in the tank, lights not in the way. And don't cost a arm and leg. I'm saving my arm and leg for a highlighter acan.

Now my next question will be how high off the tank top do I hang it?

18" from waters edge or lower? I want some serious light in there.

Back
Top Bottom