Carpeting plant help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am working on a planted tank for my horticulture class. I'm really wanting DHG to carpet the bottom. Just wondering if this is the best way to plant it so it will carpet quickest? I also included a picture or the supplements I'm using. I plan on getting an actual CO2 system in the near future. Just waiting on a couple more pay checks. Just the co2 part itself is $180 at my lfs. If you have any advice on cheaper CO2 (other than mixing yeast, etc.) that would be really awesome.

This is the DHG.

img_2635704_0_5dd1d3fa355eefe98354e79e507d7c36.jpg

This is what I am supplementing.

img_2635704_1_0bbd97cc54e3b45da68e6ea591936505.jpg

Edit: Tank is a 20 gallon long and the substrate is Ecocomplete. Stock is 6 white skirt tetras, 4 neon tetras, 2 African dwarf frogs, and 3 Cory cats.

I am working on a planted tank for my horticulture class. I'm really wanting DHG to carpet the bottom. Just wondering if this is the best way to plant it so it will carpet quickest? I also included a picture or the supplements I'm using. I plan on getting an actual CO2 system in the near future. Just waiting on a couple more pay checks. Just the co2 part itself is $180 at my lfs. If you have any advice on cheaper CO2 (other than mixing yeast, etc.) that would be really awesome.

This is the DHG.

This is what I am supplementing.

Edit: Tank is a 20 gallon long and the substrate is Ecocomplete. Stock is 6 white skirt tetras, 4 neon tetras, 2 African dwarf frogs, and 3 Cory cats.

It carpets faster if you split it into bunches of 4-5 blades and make a checker pattern.

The diffuser breaks up the bubbles from the co2 so they are more easily absorbed into the water. The drop checker tracks the co2 levels so you keep enough co2 in the tank and avoid gassing your fish to death.

Finally, the paintball co2 tank is a good club, rolling pin, paper weight, and it holds CO2 :D

Aquarium CO2 Notes Glass Drop Checker Monitor Tester Set Test Kit | eBay

Ceramic Spiro III Aquarium Glass CO2 Diffuser for Plant Skimmer Moss Tank | eBay

They are pretty cheap, just look around on ebay or amazon a bit to find some.

I would suggest changing the actinic bulb to a 6700k bulb.

EDIT: Youre also going to need some 4dkh fluid.

I'll second the Aquatek paintball regulator. My entire CO2 system was like $125 for everything. I tried 3 of those spiral diffusers and had no luck with them at all however. The bubbles came out near the edge of the ceramic disc and were so large they just rocketed right to the surface. I've gone with the 45mm Atomic diffuser from e-bay and that's working much better.

Good Luck.................this place is a great resource. I'm a newbie and folks here have helped me get my 29 gallon going really, really nice.......

Jim

I've always head good luck with the Milwaukee regulator as well, although it would need a fairly inexpensive adapter to mount on a paintball tank. That being said, with a 20g, it might be nice to get a 5# tank.

Thank you so much everyone! I can't express how much I appreciate it! I will be working on this at a slow pace, as funds are a little short right now. For now, I will have a lot of questions!

Back
Top Bottom