Carriwin's Tank Adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, not sure if this helps, but I bought some background for my tank recently and received the advice to lightly coat the face of it with vegetable oil, and then you smooth it on to the tank glass (outside of course), removing air bubbles. It worked a treat!

Hmm... Vegetable oil is organic. I wonder if that would eventually cause mold problems. :confused:

Hmm... Vegetable oil is organic. I wonder if that would eventually cause mold problems. :confused:

Since it is effectively "sealed" (assuming the bubbles have been squeezed out), there is no contact with air. IMO no different than having vegetable oil in a sealed jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, Kwakatoo! :) I think I'm going to seal backgrounds when I have ones I'm guaranteed to keep. Atm, static electricity is doing an awesome job at keeping the bags on the tanks for me. :D I'm still shopping for the perfect background... but I like the plain black ones between now and then. :)

I have 4 new fish... a dwarf blue gourami, who is now in my 38g and 3 new pepper cories to go with my green cories in the angelfish tank. :) That way they aren't lonely. Pictures to follow. (I got sunburnt this weekend and couldn't move much, thus the lack of pictures. :) )

I look like a saltwater coral I'm so bright. LOL But that's okay, I'm hoping to stay hydrated and moisturized and be able to function later and sleep tonight. My shoulder finally stopped hurting so I can actually be useful this evening and clean up the rest of my house. :D Which will be nice. Then, hopefully pictures of the new fishes and feed everyone tonight. There was a longer spell with the lights on on Saturday, so I kept the lights off yesterday just to keep the algae colony down to a minimum in the event it decided to grow. (Of course I dosed ferts Friday night for the first time...). We'll see what we have when I get home. Turns out, the leaf fish are eating the pellets off the floor now, so I think they're figuring out where the food is coming from. LOL

So here are my lovelies in the 38g tank! Patriot flashed his fins nicely for me while I was taking the video at the end which was rather accommodating of him. ;)

Community 38g

I am going to be doing a PWC on my 55g angel tank... it's starting to look a little sketchy. I need to buy a new bulb for it so it doesn't encourage growth of things where things don't need to grow. Everyone looks a little cranky in the tank... the gouramis don't seem to want to hang out throughout the tank now. Something needs to be changed around, I'm just not sure what yet. I'm debating moving the 2 gourami from where they are to the planted tank with the other pearl gourami, but she may be cranky, too, if we install 2 new ones of her same size.

Does anyone else get "boring tank" syndrome?! Angels are one of my favorites, but the tank isn't entertaining me right now... this is a problem...

I am open to suggestions.

I like the tank in the picture. For a moment whilst watching the video I could almost see roadrunner and wyle e running along against the back drop. Happy fry too.

RE boring tank syndrome. I think not for me personally. The aesthetic appeal if my actual tank has diminished somewhat but I'm too busy messing with the plants and scape and too focused on trying to find the right balance that I am yet to become bored. Although, everything I do is ultimately for the fishes, most of the time they are just a casual distraction from the plants.

That tank is just dead sexy. You should hang some black satin sheets behind it.

*blows smoke from a cigarette* Thanks, Tmaier ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm really happy with it. I think I might move my GBR into the angelfish tank with another one or two, might help with the "stagnant" look to the tank. They're big enough that they shouldn't get picked on too much by the angels. I'm going to look into it and see if they're compatible. I'd move the gouramis before I put the GBR's in though. :)

Thanks, Caliban! They're all really happy. Very pretty blues coming up, even in the GBR..she sparkles. I can see the plant upkeep, which is where I'm at with the planted 55g. I think I need to fuss with the decor a bit and change it up as well as doing the research to add other fishes. Now that I have my bottom swimmers all figured out, it's time for the next level up. :)

Does anyone else get "boring tank" syndrome?! Angels are one of my favorites, but the tank isn't entertaining me right now... this is a problem..

Kind of. If I'm not doing something new with the tank, I tend not to look at it as much, on the other hand I don't like changing things around too often, just because I don't want to stress the fish.

Thanks, Barliman! I think doing a water change and moving around decor a bit should help out I think. Just to add a little something different for them, too.

So, the long light (which has the planted bulb) which was sitting on the 55g angel fish tank was bothering me, and I think had spawned an algae bloom. So, I did a PWC the other day and it helped a bit, but then I opted to just go for a massive change.

So I decided that the lighting on the 55g angel tank needed to change, but knew that I had to give the light something to grow, or I'd be growing bacteria and such no matter where I put it. I opted to put it back on the 38g tank from whence it started. I moved some of the driftwood and unattached anubias, crypt, java fern from the planted 55g and put it into the 38g. This is what I ended up with:

104771-albums14536-picture70490.jpg

Now, mind you, I don't think this is going to be the end result, as I'm not OMG happy with it yet. I'm letting it settle a bit, and then figuring out what to do next, but I figure it's a decent place to start anyway. The fish aren't exactly happy, as the plastic planted things that were in there previously were far more plentiful than the current plantings for obvious reasons. I dosed the tank afterward with flourish to give them a little boost. I did notice that the lighting spectrum with this bulb kinda gives my fish a greenish hue. Normally I'm fine with green, but I like Patriot and my DG at the vivid blue they were before... we'll see.

So, I realized that there is now a lot more swim space for everyone in the planted 55g, and have kind of a "line" of decor going...I edited the driftwood again this morning before work but didn't have time to take pictures as I was running late. Here's last night's work:

104771-albums14536-picture70492.jpg

I think it gives everyone else in the tank a place to swim now, and feeding should be a little easier. There are still places for the leaf fish to hide, but now there are big places for fast movers. I'm seriously leaning on putting the apistos fish in this tank, as they'll like the other log, and everyone else will keep the fry population to a minimum in this tank. I know I'm not going to be able to keep up with the rapid breeding that they seem to have (as I believe Mama Fish is already pregnant again).

So, after moving things about in the other two tanks, I decided to liven up my angel tank and see how it would turn out. I'm actually really happy with the results, and it cause a flurry with the cories. "OMG! New sandy look! *shuffle shuffle shuffle* Must check out new surface! *shuffle shuffle*" At least they're looking a little happier now instead of just hiding in the back of the tank. My pleco is getting huge,... which I expected. I think I'm going to buy a buddy or two for my GBR and see if they'll like to hang with my angels. It will give them a lot more room to swim. The other option is putting my apistos in with the angels for the same reason: they'll keep down population control as well. The only downside: the sand is white. They are mimicking the color of the sand and don't show their stripes well if they're on light sand I've noticed. I welcome any thoughts on this.

Here's the 55g angel tank:

104771-albums14536-picture70491.jpg

As you can see, everyone is lively and swimming around, so I'm hoping good things to continue. It is a bit cloudy in the photo, and I'm hoping that dies down... we'll see.

So, for the fun, I included the updated look of the 2.5g tank with my poor red betta. He's healing up... I can't wait until he has the rest of his fins back. Poor baby...

104771-albums14536-picture70493.jpg

He seems happy overall though. I put the mossball in there with him for some extra oxygen during the day. He seems much happier in that tank than the other one I had him in. :) No lights on this tank, but it's sitting on my desk to round out the space.

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the other tank tonight when I go home.

Busy busy busy.

It's better than moving furniture.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471003486.599714.jpg

As promised, the updated look.

Sent from a place where the water is fresh and clean and we all swim free.

Returned from a long slumber...

Good afternoon, all!

My apologies for my long absence. I have missed you all! Many different changes... namely: I bought a house! I've also reduced the amount of active fishtanks from 4 to 2... my 2-55 gallon tanks are alive and well. I am having issues with my live plants. Most of them were NOT happy about the move. (Moving in January over a distance of 1.5 hours didn't go over well.) I only lost 1 neon, so I was pretty impressed with the fish transfer. I now have to update my tanks again, as I have all of my little fish and my gouramis in one tank, my angels, leaf fish, bala shark and clown loach in the other. It's getting a little interesting in there. :D Everyone seems to be co-habitating fairly well, though, considering. :)

I hope you all have been well!!! Please tell me what I've missed!

Warmest and best regards,

Carri

Back
Top Bottom